Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-20-2008, 08:24 PM

Default raven fork

My son-in-law and grandson got taught fly fishing by Paula and Walter last weekend--they were impressed-I got a fishing permit and fished raven fork via the Cherokee reservation--Caught my limit(10 rainbows,most about 12 inches)I was somewhat disappointed,in that,the stream was dam-ed to form trout ponds--it was elbow to elbow around the ponds--i fished below the ponds--used bead head nymphs--the stream had a lot of current---it was good fishing--caught my limit quickly--are these wild trouti tend to think NOT because,none of the trout i caught really nailed the nymph--marinated the trout in lemon juice,olive oil and garlic then smoked them--the trout ate good--real good--
Old 04-20-2008, 09:53 PM

My understanding is that almost the entire length of Raven Fork is on the Reservation and that it's stocked from the tribal hatchery.

http://www.insidenc.com/mountain/Cherokeefishgame.htm
Old 04-21-2008, 04:33 AM

Ravens fork runs through the park before going into the reservation. The only way to access the portion in the park is via a hike. Lots of untouched water in it's headwaters with no trail access. Made a trip up there last fall but we didn't stray too far from campsite 47, which is the only spot where this is trail access to the river and it just crosses the river, it doesn't run beside it at all. Beautiful area, though.

Sure would like to hear if anyone has ever made it up to the different forks of the river way upstream. I'm sure that someone has in some point in time. I bet it would be nice though, as it looks like there is miles and miles of stream that go untouched.

Craig