Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-20-2008, 09:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to jpavoncello
Default Back from a week in the Smokies

Got back late last night after a whirlwind week in the Smokies.

My cousin and I fished five days and caught almost 100 rainbows, almost all on dry flies.
For those of you fishing there in the next couple of days, Abrams creek has an amazing Green Drake hatch coming off along with March Browns and what looked like Henricksons. I caught 14 on Friday, all on a size 10 Parachute March Brown. The largest was almost 12 inches which for me is a monster in the Smokies.

Thanks to all that offered suggestions before we left and a BIG thank you to the guys at Little River Outfitters. I have to be honest, we were cheap on our licenses (got the 10 day $10 NC) but between my cousin and I, we dropped over $400 in LRO and another $100 in the park on gifts for the family. A special thanks to Daniel for helping my cousin out with his rod purchase and to Byron for the Tremont suggestion. We got into a bunch of great fish there and the scenery is beautiful. Can't believe I never stopped there on my first seven trips to the Smokies.

I've posted a photo gallery from my trip on my fly-fishing blog at:

http://members.americanangler.com/pavoncello

Last edited by jpavoncello; 04-21-2008 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: broken link
Old 04-21-2008, 06:44 AM

John, sounds like a really successful trip. Glad one of us could make it this year. If all goes well, the group from PAFF will reorganize for 2009. I missed going this year, but I know it was the right decision. I'm not sure if it is just me and my computer settings, but I cannot access your pictures through the link you posted.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 AM

Jack,

I fixed the link, sorry about that!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:01 AM

Default Excellent Pictures

I really enjoyed your pictures of the smokies and your trip. If you get a chance can you tell us which stream was your favorite. It looks like you were able to fish a few different streams.

I was also wondering what part of Adrams did you get to fish? Did you fish the horse shoe?

One of your pictures from Elkmount looks like a Brown Trout. Not sure, I am no expert.

Sounds like a really Cool trip.

P.S
It sure did look cold with all the snow.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 AM

Nice pics. There was an error labeling one of the Elkmont fish, surely a brown. That March Brown looks like it could fatten up a trout right quick. I'm hoping to hit them in Coburn in a few weeks.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Yep, it's a brown trout.

As far as my favorite stream, I really love Abrams, just because it's so much like fishing up here in PA. We didn't go back to the horseshoe, we only hiked down the trail to just after the first real climb, maybe 3/4 mile. Between there and the trailhead. Didn't see a need to go down farther with the hatches and fish rising. Plus we fished until dark anyway so we never would have gotten out of the horseshoe.

I like the Tremont area also, though the average size of fish we caught were smaller there.