Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 PM

Default Toccoa River

We fished the HI Friday 4/19/08 and had zero luck so we moved to the Toccoa in McCaysville GA on Saturday and Sunday and had pretty good luck. I caught my first brookies and several rainbows. The bows were colored really nice...unfortunately none of my pictures turned out very good. I did get some of the brookies though.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ALflygirl; 04-21-2008 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: adding
Old 04-22-2008, 03:15 PM

Which part did you fish? I'm headed there this week.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:03 PM

We fished Horseshoe Bend park in McCaysville. We checked out Curtis Switch Park but there didn't appear to be anything happening there. There's a delayed harvest section around Blue Ridge that we have not fished but we probably will when we go back in June. They were starting to hit drys, but all of mine were caught on a BHPT. Good luck. Let us know how you do!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:24 AM

We didn't do very good. We tried the dam, Curtis Switch and Horshoe bend. At the dam fish were rising but not to anything in my fly box. At Curtis Switch we caught a couple of brightly colored rainbows. At Horshoe Bend no luck, but I did scare a huge brown when I was wading out.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:22 PM

I attemtped to fish there Friday afternoon before the release of water and got in at Curtis Switch. Downstream was pretty crowded looking so I stayed near the cars. There were a good number of people and very few trout seen. I caught a couple. Some that were so fresh from the hatchery it barely had a tail and couldn't hardly fight once hooked. Is this typical of the Toccoa or did I have a poor experience because I was at one of the only limited access points? Does it fish a lot better if you float it?
Old 04-28-2008, 02:37 PM

From what I have read, the float can produce some pretty good fish. I would love to float it sometime. I have usually had decent luck when we have waded it...always stockers, but some decent sized ones. I have had the most luck with an elk hair caddis with a bead head pheasant tail dropper.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:27 PM

I've regularly fished the Hiwassee for 3 years now, fished in the Smoky Mtn National Park, fished the Chattahoochee (what a joke) and so far that brown I saw on the Taccoa was the biggest trout I have ever seen. You hear a lot about big fish...I wonder if the water chemistry has something to do with it.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:29 AM

Guys, the Toccoa is fishing great now. The caddis, BWOs, and Hendricksons are coming off and the sulphurs are just around the corner.

The largest browns I've seen in GA have been on the Toccoa...ya just gotta look for them. They like to eat big meat. WE fish the river during high water and do catch a few on 8wts and sinking heads. Tougher on low water.