Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-22-2008, 07:46 AM

Default Hiwassee 4/21

The first trip to the HI this year was a fair one. Water was gin clear but I never did check the temp. Small mayflies around mid day. Most of the hatches got going around 530-600. There were more small bwo's than I can remember seeing in a while. Stoneflies and some caddis. Most effective pattern for me was a #18 olive sparkle dun. A larger pattern would catch some fish but it was the smaller one that most fish would look at. I don't know how many I landed but I missed quite a few. The action seemed to taper off rather early for an April afternoon but by 630 it was time to walk out anyway. Only saw three others fishing and they didn't show up till after 5:00. The late afternoon light in the bend makes the walk in worth it.

mstone
Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 AM

Default spinner fall

Take A walking light,stay later and wait on BWO spinner fall #18 or #20 rusty spinner . Last thirty minits of daylight. watt bar
Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 PM

watts bar,

that's very interesting. I haven't seen a spinner fall on the river in a long, long time. I was just cutting my teeth with a flyrod the last time I witnessed it. Don't know when my next trip there will be but will let you know how I do.
mstone