Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 AM

Default Upper Little River

I'm back from a great weekend in the park! The fishing was a little strange for me. Saturday, Trevor (ttas67) drove over to Cataloochee for the day since I had never been before. We fished some and the fish didn't seem all that cooperative. We both managed several fish but had to work fairly hard for them. There were tons of bugs on the water but not really any rising fish.

Yesterday was another story. I woke up and broke down camp before hiking up above Elkmont. The trailhead was fairly busy but only a couple other anglers were either gearing up or already up the trail. I started hiking and an hour later was deep in the backcountry. The changes in scenery just hiking a little ways was incredible. At Elkmont, the dogwoods were in full bloom and spring was moving right along. As I hiked, seemingly went back in time to early spring. By the time I started fishing, the dogwoods weren't blooming at that particular elevation. The wildflowers were incredible however. The trailside was carpeted with several varieties. Here are some pictures (anyone know the specific names of these?)...

Anyway, I started fishing and stuck with nymphs (GRHE, Tellicos, and soft hackles) for several hours. It was really chilly up that high with the clouds. The water was around 48 degrees when I started fishing. The rocks were covered with yellow stoneflies that had crawled out and hatched but just couldn't get warm enough to take flight. Every time the sun peaked through, bugs would take to the air all over the stream.

Finally, late in the day, I made the switch to dries (yellow Neversink Caddis) and it was incredible. The fish were just slamming it even though I rarely saw any surface activity. Finally, I had to call it a day since I still had to hike out and drive back to Chattanooga AND do some homework when I got back...

On the way back down, pools that had looked barren on the walk up in the morning were full of actively feeding fish and I started spotting plenty of risers. The temptation to fish more was strong but I stuck to the trail and made it out with some daylight left to drive back... Overall it was a great weekend...the fish were cooperative and any day fishing in the park is a whole lot better than school...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-21-2008, 11:35 AM

Your weekend sounds eerily similar to ours....I'll post a report later, but basically we started out at Lynn Camp and got skunked (no rises, "used" water), then went over to Straight Fork, where we managed a few fish, but it was basically dead, too. I saw a lot of flies late that evening, but nothing rising to take them. Sunday was another matter - we hit Cosby and went fairly high up - saw the same flowers blooming there, and one of my daughters wondered what they were. Between my oldest and myself, we got about 40, with a few fairly decent sized fish...it was sort of a strange weekend, made even more so by the fact that now I'm back here, below sea level, and the highs will be well into the 80s today.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:40 AM

Sorry I missed ya. Climbing was fun, but we all know it doesn't compare.... My regrets. My wife promised to come out to the Smokies next weekend, hopefully we can all meet up. I'm sure finals are on your plate now too, though. Have a good week.
Jamie
Old 04-21-2008, 11:51 AM

Oh yeah, did you see any snakes?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:09 PM

Default RE: name of flower???

Phlox…wild variety

daniel
Old 04-21-2008, 12:25 PM

Great report. Nice pictures
Old 04-21-2008, 05:15 PM

Default Excellent Report

Thanks for the report and pics David, glad to see you were able to get to the mountains this weekend. It sure is hard to walk right past those good looking pools as you are leaving.

Travis
Old 04-21-2008, 07:51 PM

Default Elkmont & WPLP 4-20

David, I guess me and Hans missed you yesterday at Elkmont. We were at the trailhead at 7:30 am. We hiked up to about a 1/4 mile below where Huskey Branch joins the Little River. The fishing was sluggish early in the morning, I only managed a 5" brown and a smaller bow before we took a break at noon. I wasn't fishing or feeling particularly well due to a lack of sleep brought on by a bad frozen pizza I ate the night before. I'll spare you the gory details, LOL.

After taking a little break me and Hans decided to hike down to Jakes Creek since Hans was feeling a little chilly without his waders. Turns out someone was fishing on Jakes when we got to the area where we wanted to start fishing. We then decided to fish the Little by the trailhead, by this time the surface activity was beginning to pick up along with the hatches (yellow sallies and black caddis). A little problem though, there was someone fishing right above us, bummer. We decided to use proper etiquette and hop in our vehicles and headed downstream of the campground where there is a pullout along a stone wall on the river. We fished up to the little bridge that is closed to vehicles. Strangely, we didn't have any success in this area, maybe we were fishing just used water since there were people above and below this stretch. By this time Hans had enuff of wet wading in the cold water and I had enuff of running into other fishermen. Hans decided to head home and I decided to head to my old friend the WPLP.

I arrived at the WPLP above Sugarlands visitor center around 4:00pm. I hiked non-trail down to an area just above where I had success last weekend. I caught a small bow on about my second cast with a parachute stone. There were several types of bugs hatching, looked like some Quill Gordons, Sallies, and caddis. The fish were at lot more active than earlier in the day on the Little River. I ended up catching around 10 bows in a little over 2 hours, while missing that many more, all on dries. The rainbow pics below were caught on the W. Prong. The waterfall pic is where Huskey Branch joins the Little River. The other pic is one I took of Porters Creek last weekend. BTW, I think the one bow looks like a stocker that wandered up from G-Burg. What do you all think?

This is my first attempt at loading pics, so here it goes. All in all, it turned out to be a good day in the Smokies, especially after I started feeling better and moved to the WPLP.

Last edited by pineman19; 04-21-2008 at 08:10 PM..
Old 04-21-2008, 08:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

the purple in the front look like violets, those in the rear like purple phacelia
Old 04-21-2008, 09:38 PM

pineman19, I knew it! I was hustling right along and was 99% sure I saw Hans just above Huskey Branch. He was standing in the middle of the stream on a rock (and the only other person I saw wet wading all weekend) but I didn't stop since I was starting later than I had meant to. Glad ya'll had a good time and caught a few in the process. Did you stick with dries the whole time? I caught a ton of fish on nymphs before I switched to dries late in the day. They seemed really hunkered down until at least mid afternoon when I started spotting fish feeding higher in the water column.

EarlofSoDak, I didn't see any snakes this trip but it was pretty chilly with all the cloud cover. I've been seeing them around here in Chattanooga so I'm sure they're out and about now...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com