Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-13-2008, 07:52 PM

Default Lynn Camp Report

Just got back from fishing lynn camp prong today. Fishing was pretty good. It was not as good as it was when i fished there several times last week but it was still a fairly productive day. Got there a little before lunch time and dry flies seemed to be the ticket all day starting at about noon. I started out using nymphs, a #14 bead head pheasants tail and took one small one. The nymph action never got any hotter than that so i switched to dry flies. I put on a Doculator which i find to be an excellent yellow sally imitation and it floats extremely well. This really got the trout going. Later on in the day i got into a few sporadic hatches of some light cream colored mayflys that the trout were busting pretty hard. I then switched to a #12-14 Light Cahill and caught several. By the end of the day i had caught a handful of them most in the 6-8 inch range with a few dinks thrown in here and there. I had the pleasure of meeting Ben aka. Milligan Trout Degree today. He should post up later about how his day went too. All in all it was a great day to be on the stream with nice weather. Saw a monster rainbow rise to the top of a deep pool that seemed to dwarf the 12 inch bow i caught last week. I know it couldnt have been that much bigger but it seemed huge when i saw it. Ben (Milligan Trout Degree) went back to that pool and put a nymph down deep hoping to draw a strike from it, but no luck . Would have loved to have seen him hook into it. Hey Ben, maybe that size 4 Hares Ear nymph would have done it!

-Greg

Last edited by TroutAssassin; 05-14-2008 at 08:59 AM..
Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 PM

Greg, I'm gonna start calling that big hares ear my drowned mouse imitation. I'll use it as a dropper fly next time I'm fishing a 2/0 hopper pattern up lynn camp.

I also fished up lynn camp today, probably for my last time for a long time. I hiked up maybe ten minutes past the cascade before fishing. I came up to my first hole. A beautiful small plunge leading into a perfect run into a gorgeous pool. A place you know a fish will be sitting. I casted my para adams and pt dropper perfectly at the head of the run. One of those cast you just know will catch a fish. After a quick mend, I had the most outstanding drift you'll ever see. The flies drifted through run and into the fishy pool, then just as the flies neared the end of the pool.....I pulled up and made another cast. Never want to catch a fish on the first cast . I moved upstream fishing as I went. I caught two or three on the pt, then a couple on the green weenie. A little after noon, little yellow stones started hatching. I put on a yellow stimi and began getting hits regularly above the panther creek crossing. Then I though, "if yellow stones are hatching heavily, why aren't I fishing a stonefly nymph"? So I put on a tellico behind the stimi and smoked a few more fish that way. As Greg mentioned, I tried to coax a big fish up with a #10 lead wrapped princ with a #4 split shot in a deep pool. Nothing happened, but I gave it a good shot. I hiked back to the car around six and decided to fish around the trailhead. I hit the stream in front of about ten tripods set up along the bank fifty yards downstream pointed to where I was standing. So, I did what I thought was the right thing to do, and show off my casting skills for them. I pulled out a reasonable ninety foot of line and smoothly executed a double hauled double speyed reached and tucked roll cast. Then as I was getting my flies from the tree, I noticed the mayflies had really started kickin. I had seen a few all day. Small cream colored one's mostly. I had one land on my rod which I think was a sulphur species. Yellow body, red eyes. The hendrickson were going strong along with yellow sallies late in the evening. I didn't see many rises to them, but I caught a few more on the stimi and pheasant tail.

This was my first day back in the smokies this year. Can't wait to get back out and explore some new water this year.

Ben
Old 05-13-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milligan trout degree View Post
I hit the stream in front of about ten tripods set up along the bank fifty yards downstream pointed to where I was standing. So, I did what I thought was the right thing to do, and show off my casting skills for them. I pulled out a reasonable ninety foot of line and smoothly executed a double hauled double speyed reached and tucked roll cast.

Ben
I saw all those photographers as i was leaving. I figured you would put on a show for them . Im glad you maybe figured out what those cream colored mayflies were. The only two colors of mayflies i saw were the cream ones and some that were a pale yellow. By the way im sure there is a fish out there somewhere that has his name on that mega hares ear. Probably some mutated godzilla brown that eats small mammals in a polluted tailwater or something.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:21 AM

I'm still not sure about the cream mayflies.

I'd like to meet up with that mutated brown. I saw a picture of a trout with two mouths one time. Maybe he'd eat it.

I'm hoping I see myself on a postcard sometime soon from those photographers. That'd be sweet.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:55 AM

I saw the yellow bodied red eyed sulfur species you were talking about. But i just cant seem to figure out what those pale cream colored mayflies were. The hatch would come in short bursts and they were almost translucent when first comming off the water. I figure it must be a cahill or maybe even some pale colored sulfur species. Anyway switching to a size #14 light cahill was enough to convince the trout it was the same . It was great to meet you Ben. Hopefully we can get together and harrass some more trout sometime. I dont do much tailwater fishing so maybe you can show me a thing or two up on the SOHO. I am always up for fly fishing so just hit me up sometime if you are looking for somebody to go with, and i will do the same.