Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-27-2008, 11:42 AM

Default Lynn Camp 26 APR

I left the end of the road on the Middle Prong at 3:15 yesterday in a light drizzle, and selfishly thought to myself, "Good, maybe this rain will clear out some of these people toting tripods." By the time I got to the top of the cascades it was an absolute downpour. I stopped for a minute just to look over the view, and the sun burst through leaving me in the middle of a giant shaft of brilliant light, as the valley lit up and the rain continued. It was almost hot in the sun, if not for the still pouring rain. It was almost like God was saying, "Hey, check out what I can do." I didn't hike too far, and I started fishing at the rock tent - I don't know what it is really called, or if it even has a name, but there are two huge boulders on the left side of the trail that lean against each other forming a huge rock teepee that you can walk through. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about, it's hard to miss from the trail, and "rock tent" just kind of seems appropriate to me. Anyway I started there, and got some strikes on a yellow sally, but only if I let it get below the surface. I had put on a yellow adams and an olive elk hair caddis, having marginal success with each, again, as long as I fished them a little wet. Around 6:00 I noticed some very large light colored mayflies coming off the surface, so I reeled in and put on a large adams with a little yellow on the butt that I picked up a LRO a few weeks ago. I was no longer lip-hooking fish just below the surface. I now had to get out my leatherman to dig the fly out of the throats of a bunch of small rainbows that had tried to inhale my fly. One fish in particular nailed the fly at the bottom of a small pool. I set the hook and he rocketed out of the water about two feet above the surface (a remarkable feat for an 8 inch fish). Instead of landing back in the water that he jumped from, he went over a small waterfall and I saw my leader hang up on a rock. I a tried to free the line, I realized that the fish had passed through a hole formed by two rocks. I thought he was gone and I was just trying to get my fly back. I waded out into the water and felt for my leader disappearing into the whitewater. That's when I saw a tail flash out of the water on the other side of the rocks. That little bugger was still on! I tried to free my line unsuccsessfully from the sides of the rocks. Not knowing what else to do, I reached as far as I could over the current, clinging to boulder I was perched on. I was very close to going for a short ride downriver, but I felt the leader move freely upstream. I pulled the leader straight upstream, and found myself holding a short section of leader with a thoroughly confused fish still hanging on the other end. It was a very strange way to land a fish.
Anway, everything I've been reading in the fishing report was right on. Dry fly action picked up late afternoon / early evening, around 6:00 p.m. Most of the rainbows were small (I only caught two over 7 inches). Large Adams was the dry fly of choice. I used a #14, but I wish I had brought a #12 with me.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:02 PM

Brian- Thanks for the update. Good to hear that you were able to get out and fish. Did Jamie give you the flies I tied or did he keep them for himself?
Good luck Turkey Hunting!
Old 04-27-2008, 02:32 PM

Default Photog Hatch

When we were up there last weekend, we couldn't get over the number of photographers, all along the Tremont road. It was amusing in a way, except for when one of them decided to plop his tripod in the middle of one of the bridges, then looked at me funny when I actually had the temerity to want to cross it.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:40 PM

Ben,
He showed them to me. They looked good by the way. Much better than anything I have slapped together during a conference call at work. I guess he kept them. I'd bust down his door and demand some answers.
You should have come along this morning on the turkey hunt even though you didn't miss too much. We had one gobbling on the roost at sun-up, but he was so far away we couldn't get to him. He was henned up by the time we got close. We did manage to call in three dogs though. We must have been doing something right, b/c one of the dogs only had three legs. Our calls must have been pretty tempting to make a three-legged dog run that far into the woods.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:00 PM

Default Photo Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijsouth View Post
When we were up there last weekend, we couldn't get over the number of photographers, all along the Tremont road. It was amusing in a way, except for when one of them decided to plop his tripod in the middle of one of the bridges, then looked at me funny when I actually had the temerity to want to cross it.
While fishing around the parking circle at the top of the Tremont road one of the photographers worked their way over the hill and up on a rock only to find me having the time of my life catching wild bows. She was obviously upset after all her work to get into the right spot to find a fat boy in green standing in her picture, it was hard not to laugh when the sounds of her grumbling and huffing made it to me over the sound of the rushing water. I moved upstream to the next run to get out of her way and scared off another camera buff in turn,it was not on purpose but I thought a camera alert might have been better than a tuber alert. lol
Had great success with a BHPT and a Prince.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:19 PM

It's kind of nice to have the shoe on the other foot...most of the time, it's tubers, swimmers, kyackers, etc...interfering with our fun.