Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Conservation Organizations and Fly Fishing Clubs

Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 PM

Default Your TU Dollars At Work

Gentlemen:

I have come across a very interesting item here from Trout Unlimited that I believe maybe of interest to the rest of you TU members and non-members. TU has hired a young lad to go about the country and fish the various streams and write about them in a blog on their web site. This revelation started me to ponder, if TU has the excess funds to hire someone to go about the country and fish perhaps the best trout streams to write a short story on the internet, then maybe paying my 2007 dues is not a wise economical decision on my part.

Web sites like this one here (littleriveroutfitters) provide avid fishermen (fly and spinning) more useful information on stream conditions and other (major and sometimes foolish) issues than TU to have this lad travel to and fro writing on how “cool” it is to fish this spot or that spot. It seems to me that there are enough fly fishing magazines out there every month doing the same thing, and TU’s (mine and your dues) funds could be better spent else where I suppose.

This could be TU’s way of educating us on what other TU chapters are doing, have done, or planning on working on, but I have my quarterly TROUT magazine for that.

Now I could say something like after he completes his mission for TU the State of TENNESSEE has a spot for him in the state legislator as budget Czar or Bredesen Aide De Camp, but I won’t.

Luca's Blog
Old 04-22-2008, 07:13 PM

I thought Batten Kill was spelled Battenkill. I think these two posts should be moved to Conservation Organizations and Fly Fishing Clubs.

Byron
Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Administrator

I have moved the posts and given them their own thread.

Paula
Old 04-22-2008, 07:39 PM

Trout Unlimited is trying to add more members and raise more money. I get mailings often and e-mail on a very regular basis. I got a mailing today.

My guess is this fisherman and his stories are designed to bring people back to their website. I think they are trying to add more content. It is a strategy that works. That does help with readership. We do things to bring people back to our website. This message board and the fishing report are good examples. Our website changes every day.

Personally I will support TU National as a member unless I find a strong reason not to. I've been a member for a long time. Our company also supports TU Chapters mostly in the Southeast.

Maybe TU is over funded but if they are I haven't heard about it. To tell you the truth I don't keep up with TU National. I like to donate to the local chapters.

Byron
Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 PM

Default Nefas Iterum

Good Evening Lads,

I have here in my hand (just put it down to type to ya'll) a letter from a Mr. Gauvin.

The outside of the envelope it states "FREE Gifts for you!" Whoopie ding lads..

Am I going to be one of the lucky lads to go fly fishing with some contest winner and TU members from HQ?? Maybe he wants my opinion on the power lines over the Del... N, has to be my leadership, yes, they want to to lead the charge to save KLG, and I will not only get to fish with the Pres of TU, but the big guy in Wash DC himself personnal to highlight the plight of smaller streams in the eastern part of this great country.

Give me a sec, while I open the envelope.....

Oh, as a Dear Fellow Angler he wants me to join TU. And if I sign up today I get two free gifts. Oh... wasn't what I was hoping for.

They did include 15 return address stickers with my name on it, but the address is wrong, it has my business addy on them.

There is always some good in everything lads as my mom always said, just have to look for it.
Well, I did find it in this package. Information. Yes lads, useful information.

WHERE YOUR DOLLARS GO:

12% Fund raising
6% Management & General
6% Membership
76% Conservation Programs

Which begs me to ask, of all the TU members, what percentage is located east of the Mississipppi? Of that percentage, how much of the funds are returned to those areas?

Well, I hate top say it lads, but that letter and its contents will find its way to the circular file soon enough.

As always, on yourside.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:45 PM

Thumbs down

Hello Sir,

All I can say is that your not on my side

sincerely,

Neal

Last edited by pineman19; 04-23-2008 at 08:15 PM..
Old 04-24-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
Hello Sir,

All I can say is that your not on my side

sincerely,

Neal
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-24-2008, 12:29 PM

All I can say is...if 76% is given to conservation, that's a pretty high number - a lot better than a lot of other organizations. It looks like very little is allocated to "overhead", such as salaries. As for how much is spent East or West of the Mississippi, there's no way to tell - the implication that more money is spent out west doesn't have anything to back it up.

I do know that TU has had a vigorous "Back the Brookie" campaign for a number of years now, and they recently completed a study that breaks down, state-by-state, the status of our native eastern trout. Since they're my favorite species, I'm happy.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:33 PM

Just sent in my $50 Family Membership to TU today. I felt especially good about it this time.

Byron
Old 04-25-2008, 11:49 AM

As a life member of TU, I will agree that TU is not a perfect organization. But, what organization is? As has been noted earlier, 76% to conservation is pretty good. And, I know that TU is making a positive difference in the east and more particularly, the Southeastern trout fisheries. Despite its imperfections, it is still the best and most active cold water fishery conservation group around.