Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-21-2008, 02:12 PM

Default Has anyone seen this pic.

I know this is a Smokey mtn trout forum but I thought this was a interesting picture and most people don't post on the other topics sections of this board. I had seen this trout a few years ago but forgot about it till I came across it earlier. This is the NC state record Rainbow. I believe it was around 21 pounds The girl caught it on a rapala in the horsepature river. I have never seen a trout anywhere close to that big around these parts. I guess it was just a freak of nature. What do you guys think?

Old 04-21-2008, 03:08 PM

That fish is impressive to say the least. The only way I can imagine a fish becoming that large would be in some instance where trout are present in a tailwater all the way to another lake. Like Boone lake for instance, where the watauga and s. holston both run into it. I believe trout can be found almost all the way down to the lake. If a fish were to make it into the lake after becoming large enough to avoid being a bass meal, then it could sit back and feast on bait fish and small panfish and become massive. I don't know anything about that river she caught that fish from, but wow, it must have been a shock to hook into something like that.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:21 PM

I had one on the line at least that big maybe even bigger up by Tremont. Unfortunately, the alarm went off and I had to wake up and go to work so I have no idea if I landed it or not.

Nice fish.

Jeff
Old 04-21-2008, 05:21 PM

Default That was good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
I had one on the line at least that big maybe even bigger up by Tremont. Unfortunately, the alarm went off and I had to wake up and go to work so I have no idea if I landed it or not.

Nice fish.

Jeff
That was good Jeff. I thought I was the only one who dreamed about fishing.

Wow, what a fish. I agree with Milligan, that looks like some sort of an impoundment grown fish. She definitely smashed the previous record didn't she. Imagine fishing in Snowbird for those lake run fish, and hooking into a pig like this on your 4-wt.

Travis
Old 04-21-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milligan trout degree View Post
That fish is impressive to say the least. The only way I can imagine a fish becoming that large would be in some instance where trout are present in a tailwater all the way to another lake. Like Boone lake for instance, where the watauga and s. holston both run into it. I believe trout can be found almost all the way down to the lake. If a fish were to make it into the lake after becoming large enough to avoid being a bass meal, then it could sit back and feast on bait fish and small panfish and become massive. I don't know anything about that river she caught that fish from, but wow, it must have been a shock to hook into something like that.
Maybe if one grew up in a large ppol below a waterfall? Lots of fresh water coming through, plenty to eat?
Old 04-23-2008, 02:55 PM

Some people believe that that trout was raised in a private pond and then turned in as a river fish. I read a article were the girls boyfriend caught a bow around 18 pounds right before she caught her fish. Whats the odds of two fish this size coming from the same river, much less the same hole. I guess only they know the truth.