Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-24-2008, 10:23 PM

Default Little River Trip

Drove up from Alabama on Sunday to renew a supposed annual smokies (been 6 years since the last one together) fishing/backpack trip with an old buddy from Virginia. We met Monday morning for the drive from "Murvul" to Elkmont (with a side trip to Little River Outfitters of course) and on the trail around 1100. My old legs and lungs aint what they used to be but we made it to campsite 24 in just under 2 hours. We got a few hours of fishing in and caught a few small rainbows and browns. I did manage to catch one brown close to 12 inches. Tuesday back out on the stream and caught a nice brown (almost 13 inches) in first pool I fished. Only managed one small rainbow rest of the day. I think I spent most of the day changing flies rather than fishing. Wednesday had a little better luck with numbers but size was small. Thursday was back to reality day as we broke camp and made the walk back to Elkmont stopping numerous times to enjoy the views (and catch my breath) of the deep pools from the trail 30 feet above the water.
Hope to do it again soon. I miss fishing these waters I grew up on before going off to earn a living an eventually ending up banished to the "land of no trout" in Alabama.
I would like to give a shout out to "BUDCARTMAN" whom shared campsite 24 with us on Mon and Tues. He told us about this forum and he apparently lurks here.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:58 AM

Maddawg....great report on one of my favorite areas..you said you grew up on these waters.....when was this and did you grow up in this area....I too am from a land with no trout but I spent my teenage summers bushwacking the waters of Elkmont....I have pulled my son up to 24 twice now and have told him that another trip is in his future whether he likes it or not....hope you can get back soon.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:36 PM

Rog,
Grew up in Blount County so fished a lot of the streams around tremont, elkmont, and cades cove areas. I've got my son interested in fly rodding for bream and bass during the willow fly hatches in North Alabama. My plan is to get him to the smokies in the next few months for some day trips on some of the smaller streams so he can get his stream wading legs. Don't think he is ready to carry all my gear into the backcountry yet. I've bought him a 3 wt rod blank I need to wrap and put a handle on for him here shortly.
Maddawg
Old 04-26-2008, 09:43 PM

Hi Maddawg,

Glad you found us through your friend at #24. That's one of my favorite places. I'm glad you plan to get your son into this sport. You guys can spend many good times together forever.

Byron
Old 04-26-2008, 09:48 PM

Maddawg...this will be my son's third year in the mountains with a fly rod...he got started with an ultra light spinning outfit and learned how to catch trout on his own in Jake's Creek on several father/son camping trips...were at 24 three years ago when he dropped all his spinning lures the first afternoon we were up there....next day he picked up my extra long stick and has been hooked ever since.....he will fish til dark when we are in the park and is developing his own style and theories....sometimes I will just stop and watch him fish and relish in his new found intensity....he started at about the same time I began mytrout fishing....he makes the fourth generation that has fished these waters....just hope I am around when he starts passing his knowledge on to the fifth generation.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:38 PM

Default Budcartman

I think I ran into Budcartman on Wednesday above Elkmont. His rig was quite the deal!

BCM - that was me heading down the trail breathing hard and sweating like a pig. I think you said you had just caught a fish before climbing the bank to your cart.

sb
Old 04-29-2008, 12:31 PM

There is trout fishing in Alabama! Check out the post about Sipsey River in the Trout Fishing in Other States section
Old 05-04-2008, 11:20 AM

Hey Maddawg. Just how old are those "old legs & lungs?' I am only 71 and starting to feel the same way. Just wondering if thats normal for my age?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 AM

Default g8rb8

g8rb8,
Just wondered how old your son is? My daughter is taking a lot of interest the last year in the Fly Rod also, she's 9.--Bran
Old 05-05-2008, 10:35 AM

Bran...my son is now 15....he has been fishing with me in the park since he was 5....father/son back to school trips are a bonus for me....he got started on a spinning outfit until he could handle the long rod....we made out first trip to 24 when he was 11.....only drawback was that ended up having to just about empty his back on that first trip....my last post was off my son's website hince the g8rb8 moniker....