Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-23-2008, 05:58 PM

Default Little River 4/18/08

Four crazy guys, well maybe only one crazy guy and 3 companions, decided to hike to camp site 24 over the April 18th weekend. The ages of the four shall not be revealed beyond the disclosure that one was over 50, one was so close to 50 that he can smell it, and the other two, well, they are so young it is disgusting to even think about it. Anyway, at least two of us weighed our backpacks prior to leaving home. They were both in excess of 40 pounds. Anyway, we arrived at Elkmont around 12:30 Friday afternoon, after stopping at LRO, of course, to spend the minimum required entrance fee of $20 worth of flies. I think I actually spent $36 as I had flies that I had tied, but I needed tippet and a spare leader, and, well, a few flies. We checked in and headed for site #24. It is really hard passing all that good-looking water on the way in, especially when carrying a 40-pound pack. We arrived at camp 2 hours later (no wise cracks from you young guys who make it in 1 hour and 15 minutes). We set up camp and then went fishing. Everyone caught a fish which is good considering two of the four were veterans, but 2 were somewhat new to GSMNP fly fishing. The fish were really hitting dry flies Friday afternoon. Saturday, the young guys awoke to water in their tent (ha!). We fished Saturday morning below camp. Fishing was somewhat slow that morning although everyone did have some luck. In the afternoon, one of the young guys said he wanted to catch a Brook trout, as he had never had that experience. I agreed to take him up to campsite #30 to try our luck with the Brookies. On the way, he stopped to fish and never made it to camp #30. So, I walked another 1.8 miles there and back for nothing. Well, I did have some fishing luck. The water was 48 degrees at #30. By the way, he did catch a couple of Brook trout together with a lot of rainbows - all on dry flies. The walk out on Sunday afternoon was tough. We did not stop and made it out in about 1.5 hours. I still have not recovered. Here are some pictures. I did get a slam which made the pain worth it.

Four crazy guys went in and four came out - all with smiles and memories that will mellow with time.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

Last edited by donwinn; 04-23-2008 at 06:13 PM..
Old 04-23-2008, 06:11 PM

Default Little River

Got to Elkmont early FRI, set up camp, and fished all day. Did well on dries. Picked up buddy @ LRO FRI evening, had supper, and returned to RON. We too had water in tent SAT am, helps to close the window. I fished the campsite SAT, and was amazed at how many fish I caught just @ Elkmont.
Broke camp SUN, and buddy headed back, stopping @ Clinch where he did well. I fished Metcalf SUN, and around 2:00 pm took the largest trout I have ever caught in the GSMNP on an orange stimmie with legs. 14.5" brown @ 1.5 to 2#. My 3wt 8'9" Sage rod is much morre forgiving than earlier versions, as I tend to horse fish and was lucky to land it on 6X. Makes up for last year's lack of water. Plan to get there all I can in '08. Watson
Old 04-23-2008, 06:21 PM

Default Thanks for the reports

Thanks for the reports guys, and the pics Don.

Don,
Your mountain fishing combo looks a lot like mine. I have the 2wt with the BBS II reel. By far my favorite setup, even though I spend most of my time flinging a 4-wt on the tailwaters.

I still can't get over how big some of those brookies mouths are in comparison to their bodies.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 AM

Default Rod/Reel

ChemEAngler,

That is a TFO Finesse 3wt that Bryon encouraged me to try. He was right as usual. It is perfect for small stream roll casting. This year, I asked Daniel to put a BBS I on order for me. That was the first time I used it. It is great as well.

Yes, Brook trout have large eating devices. I suppose they need them as their margin for error on those fast moving flies is rather tight.

Have a great day!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:12 AM

Default Good times

hw3,

Sounds like you had a great weekend. Glad you got that brown! Have a great fishing year!

Old 04-24-2008, 03:02 PM

Don,

Thanks for the report and the pictures. Jack and I made it to the intersection with what I think is the Cucumber Gap trail 2 weeks ago. We got a late start and decided not to go further.

I am dying to go on up the trail and try to land a brook trout. We are going down the first of May.....maybe I'll finally get a brookie.

Barbara
Old 04-25-2008, 02:13 PM

Default Barbara

Barbara,

You can catch Brook trout on the Little River above camp site # 24. You may be able to catch them below that, but I have not. At camp site # 30, the Little River actually splits into 2 prongs. A third prong breaks off prior to the camp site. You can catch Brookies in each of these prongs. The river between site 24 and 30 is quite a bit off the trail for most of the walk. I will send you an e-mail to tell you where you can go to catch a Brookie without having to hike that far.