Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 04-30-2008, 11:09 AM

Default Branson, MO

I will be in Branson, MO from June 12-15 as part of a family vacation. We are going to the new Sight-Sound Theater to see the Noah Musical. I am considering taking the family (wife and 6-yr. old daughter) to the Dogwood Canyon Nature Park. Has anyone been and would it be a good place for my daughter to get some trout experience plus catch a few myself.
I am also considering Lake Taneycomo as a trip myself, but this is a family vacation and I don't know that I would do that. If it's worth it, somebody talk me into it. The family might let me fish for a couple of hours while they play in the pool.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:29 PM

MtnMike,
I was out that way just recently, but I did not go to Dogwood Canyon. I have however heard positive things about it. If you get a chance, swing by the fish hatchery at the base of Table Rock Dam. It is a cool place to take a kid. There were trout in the hatchery and raceway that blew my mind. Unlike other hatcheries I have been to before, they have the brood stock out there for the public to see, and they have some there pushing 25 lbs. Also, just below table rock, it is an artificial lure and fly only section. However, with all the rains they have had out there expect the water to be flowing full force.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 PM

Mike

Been there a couple times. If they are generating more than one then it would be tough to wade on Lake Taneycomo. There are town parks where you can take kids to throw in power bait or what ever with a bobber if your daughter is younger. There is an outfitter there, River Run Outfitters. (Hope it is okay to mention that on this board) You can google it I am sure. Real nice people. They have a real nice shop by the dam. They would be able to give you an idea of what the generating schedule pattern is as well. If you wade down by the dam there would be two boat ramps. I go to the lower one, get on the trail and walk down through the riaparian area about 2/10 a mile. Some good areas there. If no one is around right below the second ramp is real good also. There is fish everywhere. The first ramp seems to get the bulk of the activity for wading. Not sure when you are going but avoid weekend. You will probably fish mostly midge nymphs. Also, there is the hatchery right there at the dam as well. It is worth the visit. My kids loved it and they let the kids feed the fish as well. I put the state of Missouri at the top of investing into the natural resources. I don't care much fro Branson, a lot like Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, but the fishing is good.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:16 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info goes. We will see what, if anything, I can get in. As I said this is our family vacation so fishing is not a priority, but it would be nice. Would love to hear from anyone else who has been in the area.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:18 PM

I fished Dogwood Canyon two weeks ago while on a business trip to Branson. It is a park type atmosphere, with tourists walking a path and riding bikes by the creek. They have a meadow full of elk that a tram rides tourists up to see. It's owned by the Bass Pro shop folks. The stream is not a typical freestone river like we have here. It is a series of large step pools with dams and just a few riffles. The pools in the lower section are as large as small ponds. You fish from the bank and they discourage you from getting in the water.

There is a lower section, less than a mile in length, where you pay $20 for the first hour and $10 per extra hour. The trout average 12 to 16 inches with many larger trout. You are allowed to fish with flies or bait here, and can also keep fish at $4 per pound. The upper section, 3 miles long, is a guided only section where the fish average 4 pounds. It costs $300 per half day here, and is by reservation only.

I fished the lower section and paid $30 for 2 hours. It was a week-day and there was only one other couple bait fishing in a pool upstream. You can see dozens of trout tailing in the clear water. I fished a dry/dropper and quickly caught ten or so fish from 12 to about 20 inches, including being broken off twice by larger fish. The trout are straight out of the stocking truck and are fairly gullible. A hail storm moved in and cut my day short after about an hour. I'd recommend having a net because of the size of the fish and the fact that you stay on the bank.

If you don't mind paying to fish, catching large fat stockers, and folks walking past you up the path, i'd think this a great place to take someone on their first fishing trip. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but to catch numbers of fish, including 3 to 5 pound fish, the lower section is actually a decent value.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:13 PM

Mtnmike, I have not fished Dogwood Canyon, but I have fished Taneycomo many times! Great place for anyone to fish, if they are not generating water. Chances are they will not be generating the whole time. You can call 417-336-5083 before you leave and the recording will tell you if they are generating. Don't hesitate to take your kids. Take them to the hatchery near the Dam and then fish near outlet 1 or 2. Small gray, tan or brown scuds size 16-22, red, black or olive bead head zebra midges sizes 16-22, under a small indicator work well. I generally start with a size 18 zebra midge and you should catch some nice fish. White or Cream colored 1/100th jig heads also work well and are easy for kids. There are 2 fly shops just up from the Dam and they can provde many additional patterns. If you have access to the internet while traveling, you can check out ozarkanglers.com for the latest fishing reports (once you are at the site, check out the forum section. Hope this helps! I will be in the smoky mountains from 6/7 to 6/13.

Mike
Old 06-16-2008, 08:01 PM

Default Hatchery below Table Rock

Well, after looking at our busy schedule I decided to leave the fly-fishing gear at home (so as to avoid the temptation when I got there). While I did not fish, we did visit the hatchery below Table Rock Dam and my daughter loved it, so much so that we went back the next morning to feed the fish again. I enjoyed the visit to the hatchery myself and some of the trout there are impressive. I would love to fish some in that area, but visiting the hatchery was about all the trout I could get in on a family vacation. We did not visit Dogwood Canyon, but the Table Rock Lake and Taneycomma area was a great looking area. Thanks, for the input, maybe some day I will get to fish in that area.

Mike