Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-19-2008, 04:08 PM

Default Two goals...

I'm coming back to fish the Smokies again on Wednesday, and this time I'm not leaving without crossing brook trout off my life-list. If I'm setting out from Elkmont campgrounds, what would you experts say is the shortest hike to decent brookie water?

Also...Goal #2 is finally make it to Abrams, but I need to know if all of Abrams is considered to be "in the park". That will help me determine what type of license I will need when I stop in at LRO.

Thanks in advance for the good advice I know I will receive here!

Teefly
Old 05-19-2008, 04:42 PM

1. I'm not 100% sure but I think the hike will be a long one. Goshen Prong may be your best bet.

2. 100% sure that Abrams is in the park.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:49 PM

On the LR above Elkmont, you will probably want to hike about 4 miles up to and even above Campsite#24. Its at 2860' and you can usually start to to see Brookies at that point, the higher you go, the more you will see. Its a fairly easy hike up to there. The hardest part will be convincing yourself to keep hiking and pass all that great water along the way...Also, there are other parts of the park that take less work to get to Brookie water, but from Elkmont Campground, that's your best option.

As far as Abrams is concerned, its all inside the park, so you only need a "generic" TN license to fish it (no trout stamp necessary). I wouldn't fish any lower than Abrams Falls if you are looking for trout. The lower part of Abrams is more of a warmwater fishery than anything else...

Hope you have a great trip!

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-19-2008, 05:21 PM

If you want brookies that aren't too hard to get to, I would drive over and fish the West Prong of the Little Pigeon up above the Chimneys picnic area or some of its tributaries on up the road from there, the higher the better... Same thing above Elkmont, the farther you go the better...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-20-2008, 06:50 AM

Default Ask and you shall receive...

That's the kind of helpful info I always expect to get on this forum. Thanks to all. A four mile hike from Elkmont, huh? Well, that will give me a chance to test out the warranty on that quadruple bypass surgery I had in December!

Medic!

Thanks again,

Teefly
Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 AM

Teefly, If you don't want to test the warranty on your ticker, I would suggest heading up Newfound Gap Rd to the Alum Cave Trail parking area. From that point and above on Newfound Gap Rd you can pick one of the roadside parking areas and fish in Walker Camp Prong for Brookies. Its not the most pristine and remote area in the park (along the road), but its a great oppty for brookies, without too much commitment.

If you are up for a bit more of an adventure, another option (like David mentioned), is to park at the Chimney Tops Trail parking area and walk down along the road toward the tunnel and find a spot to bushwhack down to the West Prong of the Little Pigeon and fish up stream to the bridges (about 2 hrs). Its about 50/50 rainbows and brookies.

You can also find Brookies around the Chimney Tops Picnic area, but its probably closer to an 80/20 mix with mostly rainbows and fewer brookies.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-20-2008, 09:49 AM

PeteCZ
I live in Maryville also. I'm going to try these locations you mentioned out sometime. Not this weekend as I'll probably be out of town. They sound interesting.

Good Luck to all on the brookies!
I've not had my first yet, but I have not tried, but will soon!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 PM

You guys might wanna try sams creek that just re-opened from restoration. I went out there today to get into some of that new unspoiled brookie action but got caught in a horrible storm so i turned around