Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-03-2008, 12:28 PM

Default Those nasty/lovely rocks

Barbara,

I've taken some pretty nasty spills on rocks myself - one that had me taking shallow breaths for a few weeks and another that jumped up and gave me a good kidney punch. They have taken their toll on a body that doesn't quite bounce back like it used to.

Having said that, I love the rocks/boulders. I grew up loving to go rock hopping in the Smokies and I guess I've never gotten over that. Hence, WPLP being one of my favorite places to fish.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 05-04-2008, 08:57 AM

Charlie B,

You can tell people are getting older when they talk about their aches and pains. However, falling is an occupational hazard when flyfishing in the Smokies. I love rock hopping and have the bruises to prove it. A retired guide told me small stream fishing was like yoga, kept the muscles limber and strong. He might have something there. Never tried yoga, much prefer fishing.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:06 PM

Ooohhhmmmm... Nope, just doesn't have the same appeal.

I like the idea of fly fishing as a substitute for yoga. One more reason to keep doing it.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 05-04-2008, 09:15 PM

As an irregular yoga practicioner of some years, I can attest to the fact that yoga will improve your abilities to wade the mountain streams. It does make you more flexible, limber and balanced. However, I still stumble, tumble and bumble my way upstream! I can only imagine what I would be like without it...

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 05-05-2008, 09:49 AM

My kids love yoga. Especially the kind with the fruit on the bottom that you can mix in. Can't see how that helps with fishing though. Do trout like the fruit kind, too?
Old 05-05-2008, 01:59 PM

Don't forget to pass the blame on to those stupid boots we all wear....not only is it a good excuse for being clumsy it can also serve as justification to buy a new and improved pair to insure we get home safe, sound and unbroken.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:57 AM

Default Rocks and old age

Rock hopping is one of those things that you don't figure out you're getting too old to do with abandon until it's too late. I slipped off a rock above Tremont a while back during a very high water stretch and nearly drowned. Thanks to a couple of fishermen from Nashville who hauled me out of the river with a makeshift rope of bungee cords I got away only having lost my - it still hurts to say it - Winston.

I started to be a little more careful - and then last Sunday I got a reminder. Slipped off a rock above Elkmont and slammed my kneecap on a rock. The xrays should be back today. Only lost my forceps that time so things are improving.

Inside I still think I'm 18 but maybe my bruises will convince my brain that I'm actually almost 50.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:16 AM

I know all the teens and 20 somethings are laughing at the "old folks" talking about falling....but... it is a danger. Sometimes it's not just bruises, but a near death drowning, which is nothing to laugh about.

That being said, I continue to rock hop, with caution. It's part of the fun of flyfishing. I look both ways before I cross the road and I look at the depth of the pool before I wade or climb the rocks. Could I get hit by the tractor trailer truck or drown or break a leg? Yep. The alternative is to stay locked in the house all day. Die of boredom.

I don't take foolish risks anywhere, especially in the Park where help may not be readily available. Isn't that the only way to get some "life" out of living?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

As a late 20 something I'm not laughing at the elder statesmen of this board. Just last weekend I a spill at Metcalf Bottoms. I wasn't doing anything that would have been perceived as risky. Just didn't get good footing before taking my next step and I had water going in my waders. Fortunately I had several things going for me:

1. I don't wade deeper than 3' of water when I'm by myself. A lot of times I
don't even get that deep.
2. I simply avoid wading in swift current.

I know you can still get hurt in shallow water. but the odds of me coming out ok are increased when I'm in shallow water w/out significant current. Approximately 8 years ago I was involved in an incident whitewater rafting in northern CA. That experience taught me a lot about the power of moving water. Some might say I am overly cautious, and I know I miss out on fishing some "fishy" water b/c I won't do the wading to get to it. However, I have developed a respect for the river has overcome my courage to wade a lot of situations. Having a one month old now will only further reduce the risks I will take. I love catching fish, and I really want to catch a big brown in Little River someday, but that fish is gonna have to be in my type of water or within a long cast. Otherwise it just won't happen.

Matt
Old 05-07-2008, 12:35 PM

Doesn't even have to be in the water.....at the end of my annual "boys" week in the Park I was climbing out of the water over at Greenbrier just below the RC parking area...just before reaching the road a **** root reached out of the leaves and tripped me....landed on my shoulder and knocked the breath out of me....my fishing buddy came along and muttered...""just hope you're resting"....hurt for a week after that.