Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-01-2008, 06:36 PM

Question Brookville

ok you L-Ville and Indiana guys, what is the report on Brookville and if I can get some time, what would I wanna throw......

morning?afternoon?evening?

bob
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 05-01-2008, 10:07 PM

Default Brookville 4/26

Not from Ind or KY but I have a report.

Fished brookville Sat from 7am - 3pm. Caught plenty of Bow stockers on Nyphms. BH prince, BH phesant and Hares ears (all worked well). Also used eggs patterns (sucker spawn, and salmon egg paterns)which worked just as well. Picked up 5 browns total, including a 21 inch brown caught by my 14 yr old on a small closuer. Time of day did not seem to matter last weekend. Plenty of fish to be caught.

Hope this helped.

Nutt
Old 05-02-2008, 06:53 AM

thanks for the report Nutt.......were you fishing the Park area or farther down stream....do you know if there are public access points other than the parking lot by the spillway/**** and the park locations.....

btw.....what does the out of state license cost there and are there any other permits or requirements that I should know of......

thanks again
bob
Old 05-02-2008, 10:30 AM

Saturday was only my second trip over since moving to the Cincy area from NE Ohio, so I do not have too much info on Access. I saw people fishing from the bridge area near the dam all the way down to the bridge that is visible downstream from the park. We stuck to the area from the dam to the park since we are new to the stream. Access does not seem to be an issue, however you may want to talk to locals if you very off the beaten path. It was opening day last week, so there were a decent number of anglers but there was also plenty of elbow room. The Annual NR license cost $46.00 online w/ a trout stamp. The link is posted below. That is about all I have to add but feel free to post any additional questions. Now that I know it exist we will be fishing it more and I will post a report when I get a chance.

http://www.in.gov/ai/appfiles/dnr-license/index.html
Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 AM

Central In TU has a site, http://centralindianatu.org/ with a discussion forum that may get some recent info. Kind of weird there though, sometimes it is real active, sometimes it is dead like no one is home. They also have links to give you water levels and temps, maps for access locations and such...
Old 05-02-2008, 08:01 PM

Wow,
We need to have a get together at Brookville with all of the Cinci area folks on this board.

Here's the link to the USGS water level report for Brookville.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/in/nwis/uv?site_no=03276000

When the river gauge is reading over 4 feet, that stream becomes pretty dangerous to wade. I went last fall and it was just a bit over 4' and after about 15 minutes in the water, I realized there is no fish worth dying over.

I was up on Sunday and didn't do squatt. I'm usually good for 7-10 fish on any given day but for some reason, Sunday was just not my day.

The biggest one I've caught there was a brown that was just shy of 20". Average is about 14-16" and I did hook up and land one rainbow in th 18" range down by the lower bridge (the one you can see from the park).

I have fished by that bridge a few times. I've always entered the water by the park, cross the stream and waded down toward the bridge and fish my way back up to the park. The land owners have been in their yards and always wave back to me when I say hi to them. I had a pretty decent fish on by one of the houses and it broke off. About then, I heard a guy say "that was a big one sorry you lost it". It was one of the land owners who saw me fighting the fish and came down to watch the show.

next time I'm going to get up there, I'll post something and see if we can get together. There are a couple guys from another message board I fish with from time to time at Brookville too.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2008, 07:35 AM

hey Jeff......

if you decide to try that, let me know in advance (if possilble). My work schedule is real crazy right now as I just took over the Dayton/Cincy zone along with my current zone.....but I MUST get some time on the water or my sanity will look like a broken leader......

bob
Old 05-03-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyetrouter View Post
hey Jeff......

if you decide to try that, let me know in advance (if possilble). My work schedule is real crazy right now as I just took over the Dayton/Cincy zone along with my current zone.....but I MUST get some time on the water or my sanity will look like a broken leader......

bob
Bob,
I will do that. My work schedule is kind of crazy too. Sometimes, I just wake up and realize I have some free time and go fishing.

I'll keep an eye on the water levels and 10 day forecast and post something on this thread (or a new one if this moves off of page one) with some proposed dates.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Sounds like a great idea. I would also be interested in an outing if time permits.

EN
Old 05-03-2008, 02:22 PM

hmmmmmmmmm......kinda sounds like LRO North to me

bob