Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 05-01-2008, 11:24 PM

Default Upper Hazel Report

Fished upper Hazel last weekend and caught lots of little rainbows and brookies. We hiked the 12 miles down from Clingman's Dome to 82 in about 8 1/2 hours. The 23 water crossings (only one bridge) in the last 5 miles kept things interesting.

I'll let the pictures tell the rest. (view slideshow here: http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=bbb778fb.pbw)

Parking lot at Clingman's

Walker Creek footbridge on trail to cemetery

Walker above cemetery

Proctor and Hazel confluence just below old campsite 81. Hazel is on the right.

Hazel Creek Yellow Sally

Hugh Hartsell's Yellow Sally

Hazel Rainbow...

...Hazel Rainbow with Lemon

Last edited by marktronic; 05-04-2008 at 08:03 PM..
Old 05-02-2008, 04:36 AM

Looks like lots of fun, plan on making that trip myself here in a few weeks. Glad to see that i'm not the only one crazy enough to come in from the dome..... Thanks for the report.

Craig
Old 05-05-2008, 06:46 AM

Did the stream crossings make it a slow go on the way down or was it so steeply downhill that it slowed you down? My camping partner and i had figured that we could do that hike in under 6 hours comfortably downhill. Great pics by the way, looks like y'all had a blast.

Craig
Old 05-05-2008, 01:40 PM

Default Upper Hazel Slide Show

Nice post! Sure does sound like a good time. Did you all hike back up to Clingman's,,,, no shuttle to Cable Cove or Fontana? If you all hiked back up, you are animals! Was this a weekend or a week? Sure looks like a good time.
Best,
John
Old 05-05-2008, 02:21 PM

It took 8 1/2 hours to hike down to 82 on Friday and only 7 1/2 hiking back out on Sunday. It was slow hiking down because our packs were heavy and the trails were steep. I guess you can go faster uphill on some trails. The water crossings slowed us more on the way down...we had already hiked about 8 miles before we hit the water, so our legs were a little wobbly. On Sunday our legs were fresh at the crossings. Plus, the temperature dropped to 42 degrees and it started raining on the way back up to Clingman's...no one wanted to take a break and "enjoy the scenery" in that weather.

I would love to go back and fish the stretch between the Cascades and Proctor Creek... but there is no "legal" place to camp up there ...

I added a link to a slideshow in the original post, check it out.

Last edited by marktronic; 05-05-2008 at 06:04 PM..
Old 05-06-2008, 06:38 AM

Yeah i checked out the slideshow those are some great pics, gives me some light at the end of the tunnel until i can get up there. Well i was really hoping that the hike down wasn't so steep it would slow us down but i guess it will be. You mentioned that the hike out took less time, how grueling was it? We are planning on walking up from the campsite to fish the cascades one day as that is an area that i really want to fish. Did you happen to fish walker or proctor? We are also planning to fish one of those as well.

Craig
Old 05-06-2008, 09:45 AM

Mtn Man...
Check your email later today...
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 PM

Default Hike down from Clingman's

I looked at the slide show as well, very nice. Could do the hike to the Cascades, fish the area below them and then get back out in a day? Would that come in at about 5 miles each way? Do you think it looks like it would be real snakey in the summer on the way in? Like that outfit by the way. Is that an f series, not familiar with the blue writing.
Thanks,
John
Old 05-06-2008, 05:18 PM

My calculations show that it was about 6 miles to the Hazel Creek trailhead from the Clingman's Dome parking lot. Then the first 2 or so miles of the HC trail are switchbacks before you get to the Cascades. That would be a long day, 16 miles of hiking, not much time left for fishing...

The rod is the Murray Mountain Trout rod. Scott makes the rods for Harry Murray.
It's become a favorite for upper sections of moutain streams.

Last edited by marktronic; 05-07-2008 at 05:01 PM..
Old 08-10-2008, 10:10 AM

Very cool pics and looks like a great trip. How's that Scott Fibertouch workin' for ya!