Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-04-2008, 10:40 PM

That's good to hear. They let the nutria situation get out of hand down here; unless you were a professional trapper, or you owned land that was being damaged by them, you couldn't kill them, which was stupid; I would see several of them every time I went fishing down in the marsh. Now, it's just like the hogs up there - open season. The problem is the same, though - fast reproduction. At least the gators eat the nutria - I don't know if a full-grown hog has any predators besides us.

If a marketing campaign could be started, promoting "wild" or "free-range" pork, maybe a dent could be made in the numbers. I would buy some of those pork chops.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:46 AM

Default Pigs at Abrams

I was down at Abrams Creek Campground a couple of weeks ago and there were two wild pigs drinking from the creek around the footbridge on the Rabbit Creek Trail. I called the Park service about them.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfishjeep View Post
If your ever out hunting any time of the year in TN, they are legal to shoot. The Pigs can grow and reproduce so fast, that they become such a problem.
TWRA will let you take as many as you want anytime of the year. Maybe some boars hare would make some good flies... Hmm.
Ben,
Not to quibble, but that's only half true. They are open year round on private land. On public land, they are legal to take whenever it would be legal to take a deer.

I'm not sure why the state has placed those restictions on pig hunting. Seems to me, they want this invasive, destructive species removed, so why hamstring (no pun intended) hunters who can help mitigate the problem?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:29 AM

In the many years I have fished in the park I have only seen one live hog...young one just below the cascades on Lynn Camp....have seen the signs everywhere....used to be when there was more money in the bank they would send rangers into the park at night to hunt the critters....on one occasion met up with one of these hunters coming off the cucumber gap trail with his rifle and spot light....no pigs but he did check us for our licenses....good for him.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:33 PM

Me and my brother went up Hazel creek the first of April this year. When we were hiking in we say a boar. This was the first time I had ever seen one in the Park. We have been hiking into hazel for the last ten years and had never seen one before.

We also noticed all kinds of traps all along the trail. At first we thought they were bear traps but was latter told that they were used for the boar.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:56 PM

For years there used to be a hog trap just off the LR trail where it meets the Huskey Gap trail....don't think it is there any more and cannot remember ever seeing signs that anything was dumb enough to get caught there....
Old 05-05-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfishjeep View Post
If your ever out hunting any time of the year in TN, they are legal to shoot. The Pigs can grow and reproduce so fast, that they become such a problem.
TWRA will let you take as many as you want anytime of the year. Maybe some boars hare would make some good flies... Hmm.
Check the regulations before hunting them. There is a season on most public lands. Don't know about flies, but they make great smallmouth jigs.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:46 PM

Oops, guess Brian already covered the hunting seasons part.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:17 PM

Griff, I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5
Default hogwild

I have been seeing all kinds of sign on this side of the park...it is kinda sad... If anyone is taking a trip to Forney Creek anytime soon check out from the lake to the braids........the entire area has been rooted....I would happily volunteer to lay the 300 weatherby on a shoulder