Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Default Clinch Repot May 4th, 2008

Major Sulphur egg laying flight. Took 10 fish on top. One was a brookie. The first one for me on the Clinch. I fished the jail area. Nice warm day and much fun. Sulphur dry 16 did it. No real good size but fun never the less.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:36 PM

Default Another Clinch Report

I got away for a couple of hours of fishing time as well. On the water 3:30- 5:30. No duns seen. 12 nice fish to hand, two in the slot, 4 brookies(one 9-10 inches). All on BHPT emergers, one on a half & half emerger dry. Lost two nicer fish on intitial takes.

I love May!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC
Default Brookies

A couple of weeks ago on the Clinch I was actually surprised when I pulled in a couple of bows, most everything caught was a brook. A very few of them were pushing the 14-16" marks. All toll, probably took around 20 to hand with the majority being 9-10". I hope these little guys grow well down there because they're certainly a joy to catch.

How often does TWRA stock the brook? Do they grow at the regular rate, like browns and bows? Just curious because for a long while I never caught any, and then, BOOM, they're all over the place.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:15 PM

I've been pulling in quite a few brooks lately out of the clinch.

Surprised the heck outta me. Anybody have any info as to what TWRA's plans are for brooks in the Clinch?
Old 05-05-2008, 03:46 PM

Hans, good to hear the sulphurs are coming on strong over there. I've been fishing the clinch a lot more recently, at miller's island. I've only seen a few sulphurs there, and the fish weren't too interested in them. However, I've had great success there with soft hackles, sz 16, mostly w/ a peacock and partridge. I'm feeling pretty good about that river lately.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:58 PM

Default yet another clinch report

I fished the jail area yesterday starting around 10:30. The best time of day for me was from around 11:30 to 1:00. Caught some nice healthy bows up to 14" on BHPT's. Starting around 4:00 the sulphurs began. This was the best hatch I've seen here in a while. The fish seem to be in good shape. I did ok once the hatch started but I missed a lot of fish on the dry. It's great to be on the river and hear the better fish gulping and making huge swirls. Love it.
I took the water temp at 5:00 yesterday and it was 60 degrees. I've fished off and on up here for a while now and don't remember it being that warm. It seems that its always been around 53-55 even later in the summer. Maybe someone can weigh in on that for me. Are there some generation flow issues here?
I'm off all week and will give some reports later in the week on some western NC water.s

mstone
Old 05-05-2008, 07:04 PM

Default Generation schedule

We are still down 2" on rain this year so far with the dry summer months ahead. I don't know what the current lake level is but I assume they are raising it. However, with minimal rain there will be minimal flow (except for the every 8-10hours to keep the water temp. down for Bull Run Steam plant). I am sure there are some smart people on this board that can give us a temperature range on a river when DO (dissolved oxygen) starts to fall. All in all I think the temps are OK for now.

We still need the rain.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:20 PM

I didn't catch any fish of large size mainly because the Carp was spawning all over the major runs where the fish usually hold. I was forced to share a small shallow side chute with a brown water snake. It was a marvelous day indeed.

I caught a couple of sulphurs in my hand, man that egg sac is like TU orange in color. I need to tie some up with the sac.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:01 PM

Default Be Careful

Tennswede,
Whatever you do, don't put a wooly bugger on some 4x tippet and drift it in front of , or even false hook one of those carp.............you might get addicted to the "poor man's redfish"!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:54 PM

yep that would be a fight. I remember catching a big Carp years ago with a bait fishing rig. They sure can fight.