Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-04-2008, 11:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher
Default Little River report

Guys,

I arrived in Townsend on Thursday afternoon. I fished the East Prong about 4 hours Friday, another approx. 4 hours Saturday and then about 3 hours this morning.

Friday: The wind was blowing pretty good, but nothing like Saturday. Things started slowly, but after a little while I saw some mayflies hatching that had some red on them about sz. 10-12, maybe red quills? I know very little about insects. Anyway, when I saw that I grabbed a SMBBSH out of my box that Hugh tied with red ribbing. I dropped it off of my stimulator and proceeded to catch 8 in about 2 1/2 hours. I probably had 15 strikes total. For the amount of time I fished it was one of my most successful experiences on the East Prong. Best fish was a 10 1/2" rainbow. Caught about half and half bows to browns, but all the bows were better size than the browns.

Saturday: The wind in the morning was a little scary so I left after catching one 10" bow that I wasn't able to get a picture of. Went back in the evening and had several strikes on dries and the SMBBSH but missed every fish.

Sunday: Fished the stimulator and SMBBSH rig again. Had probably 10 strikes and again missed every fish. I haven't fished much lately and felt like my timing was terrible. I also felt like it was good for me to get humbled by the fish of the East Prong just to make me realize I'm still not a very good fisherman.

Big fish story: Friday I hit one of my holes where I have hooked big fish in the past, but I have yet to land one. I tied on a #6 Helgramite. At the end of my drift as it started to swing I got a hit that about pulled the rod out of my hand b/c I wasn't expecting it. I only had the fish on for a few seconds before the hooked popped out. I have caught browns in the park up to 15" and the felt totally different than any of those. I never got a glimpse of the fish so I don't have any confirmation that it truly was big. I simply think it was big based on the feel, the location and fly I was using. I'll definitely be hitting this spot again next time I'm there.

I have some pictures that I'll post for you guys tomorrow. It was a great weekend despite the wind. If it wasn't for Hugh's SMBBSH I'm not sure I would have had any success at all. Also, I hit the WPLP to try to get the slam on Friday, but I was running out of time and only managed about 4 little bows before I had to leave. I really wanted to get my first slam, but time didn't allow.

Matt
Old 05-05-2008, 09:46 AM

Matt,
great report. If you tell me the exact location of that hole, I'm sure I'll be able to tell you the size of that fish that got away. Ha ha.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher
Default Picture from my trip

Here's a few pictures from my weekend:

Little River brown 5-6" on the SMBBSH:

Biggest fish of the trip. From the butt to the end of the cork is 10" on my rod. I stretched him out next to my rod after the picture and he was about 1/2" past the cork. Again he took the SMBBSH. I apologize for the poor picture.

Another nice bow, about 7-8" taken with the SMBBSH. This one had a chunk of his tail missing from something that must have tried to get him.

I didn't catch big numbers, but I never seem to do that on the East Prong. It was great to be out and fun to catch a few nice fish.

Matt
Old 05-05-2008, 01:20 PM

Matt,

Seems like you are getting out quite a bit for a new father. Hope things are going well at home but glad to see you are able to get out and enjoy some time on the water. Seems like you had a good trip and i know the feeling, the smbsh has saved my butt many a times. When are we going to go fishing sometime? We can do a half day trip as long as i can afford the gas out there.

Craig