Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 AM

Default More Dead Fish on the Elk!!

Everyone thanks for all of your comments on my last post of the dead fish that i found. I went back to the Elk yesterday and found 4 more dead fish though, none of them the size of the 2 large browns i found. A farmer was by his barn so i asked him what it could be and he said since they aren't actually generating the water that is coming from the spillway at 100cfs is warming the water. It's true because i could tell just by being in it. The water use to be in the low 50's now it's in the low 60's and thats not good at all. More bass are moving in, and more trout are moving out. Algae's growing crazy. It sucks and if there is anything anyone can do that would be awesome. I am going to call TWRA and see what i can do.

Grumpy : If there is anything that you can do that would be awesome, or anyone you can talk to that would be great.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:44 AM

wow, scary stuff. Without giving up your spot about where on the river are you? I fish pretty far down and will go see if I spot anything tomorrow maybe!
Old 05-13-2008, 12:41 PM

Yeah highpockets I have been finding them anywhere from 1-3 to 4 miles downstream from the dam. I actually just contacted a man from TVA and he told me that in order to protect some different types of endangered species on the river they have to warm the water slightly. With the spill dam generators though it's really giving more oxygen to the river, but not as far down the river. He said that trout that can survive far downstream will have to move up and adjust, and some might die. They're not going to stop generating out of the spill dam though, because the water from the lakes bottom is to cold and will damage the endangered species in the river, muscles he said they were. If people keep finding more and more dead trout though, he said to contact him and they will definitely look into it. So if you do notice a lot of dead trout whenever you go, make sure you say something on here about it because i want to know as much as i can to protect them. I'm going to keep my eyes open as well, and i think everyone is now. Thanks highpockets and good luck tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:07 PM

i'll be looking closer that I normally do for sure! thank you
Old 05-13-2008, 10:35 PM

Temperatures in the low 60s isn't extreme and wouldn't be enough to kill trout. It's possible if it were coupled with a lack of food or dissolved oxygen. I think there's more to it...
Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 PM

mussells-trout

We already see which one wins

Grumpy
Old 05-14-2008, 01:19 PM

so after all of these years of running that river the way it's been run it's suddenly endangering the mussel's? Hmmmmm

I agree that there's more too it!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 PM

I'll give one of the biologist a shout, Bob Sneed will be speaking at the next TU meeting, may have to ruffle a feather there.
Trouble is, mussells are good for a watershed, trout are just a bonus resulting from the dams.

Grumpy