Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-13-2008, 11:30 PM

Default Canoeing, Holston or Clinch??

My father is coming up from Alabama this weekend. We have floated the Hiwassee for the past 8 years. I want to take him somewhere else. Which river do you guys recommend?

Is 1 or 2 generators optimal??

Clinch, float from the weir dam down to where?? and how many miles is it roughly??

Holston, float from the dam, or somewhere else to where

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. If someone some strong knowledge of floating these rivers please PM me.. thanks guys

Zack
Old 05-14-2008, 06:07 AM

Default Canoeing Clinch

Start a Peach Orchard, too much flat water past Millers Island. You need the quality time down stream. From PO it is 5 miles to clinton bridge. Time yourself to ride one generator. The way they are pulsing the water you will have a long day of it but the fishing has been good.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 AM

The float from Miller Island to Peach Orchard is 3.5 miles and its a nice float that you can stretch out. There is 2 sections of flat water, but you can still catch alot of fish. From Peach Orchard to the 61 bridge is 7 miles and it takes all day to really fish it. The last time we floated it from PO to 61 it took 9 hours. If one gen is running it makes for a nice day, but if 2 is running for 3 to 5 hours, I wouldn't go to the clinch. Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the help guys,

So what about the Holston?? Is it a good river to float?? Which section??
Old 05-14-2008, 10:32 AM

The map I have says, the dam and Nance's ferrry is the only access pts.

How many miles is it from the dam to nances ferry?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:24 PM

I don't know how many miles it is, but I know the water gets too warm for trout at nance's ferry in the hottest months. It fishes a lot better outside of the dead of summer. Anyway, I'm pretty sure its a long float. There is another take out at Indian Cave I think. I haven't seen it. From what I've heard, its private property, but they'll let you take out there. I've also heard its a pretty primitive ramp. I'm not sure about all that though.

Ben
Old 05-14-2008, 03:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

I would say it's pretty far, around 8 miles or so. The water takes a long time to get to Nance's Ferry, looping and curving with the river. I'd say it takes around 4 or 5 hours, and if they only run one generator you won't hardly notice it.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:15 PM

Default Holston

It's hard to go wrong at either one.

I prefer floating the Holston - I've always done better there. Take plenty of caddis patterns, because they have a nice hatch. You don't have to worry about it getting too warm, if it does happen, it won't be until late summer.

First of all, don't bother floating it when they are generating; you wont catch many fish. The float from the dam to Nances Ferry is not do-able in a day. There is access at a place called Indian Cave (directions from Knoxville:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=8360448667917097469,36.1594 07,-83.600971&saddr=knoxville,+tn&daddr=New+Corinth+Rd +%4036.159407,+-83.600971&mra=pi&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=17&sll=36.160365 ,-83.603908&sspn=0.006046,0.010042&ie=UTF8&z=11
It's still a long trip from the dam, and would take most of the day (I wouldn't stay for too long in one area).

I recommend the float from Indian Cave to Nances Ferry. It's shorter and more enjoyable. But there is one place that might get tricky in a canoe, especially with the water down. You should be able to recognize it before you get there, and I recommend moving all the way to the left and walking the canoe across. You'll cap off your trip at Nances Ferry where the fishing is usually great.

Good luck
Old 05-15-2008, 12:31 AM

Wow, I cannot decide. I talked to a gentleman at CRoutfitters earlier today and he had me convinced to head up to th peach orchard and flaot down to 61. Now, after reading these recent posts I think we might go to the Holston and fish either the dam to Indian cave or Indian cave to Nances Ferry.

We will have all day on the water wo I am sure which ever I decide to go to we will enjoy it.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:44 AM

Sounds like a good outing either way!
Be sure to write back and let us know how it goes.