Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-08-2008, 11:30 AM

Default fishing in town

As the story goes,Harry Middlleton caught a large brown trout behind the Dairy Queen in the waters of the Little Pigeon?? that passes through downtown Gatlinburg.Talked to Bill who lives in Maryville and works for Cardinal the people I buy from...he says the downtown Gatinburg waters are some of the best fishing in or out of the park.I would give it a try but (here's where neurotic confession begins)I don't like people watching me flyfish---I don't know why--it's not like having another fisherman downstream from you
glancing your way now and then--maybe its because I would feel isolated in the water,standing out,as though wanting to be seen because I cannot smell that circus smell of fudge,barbecue,ribs,steak,exhaust fumes and the maple of the maple syrup drowning a pancake or two that is about a block away and all those folks eyeing you ARE there,which makes them not only curiouss about you casting a fly,but sincerely at peace with themselves because they are full as ticks wondering why in the heck you would want to fish the waters of hotel-motel land.So was Bill right about the fishing?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 PM

Fishing Gatlinburg is not that pleasurable. There are fish in the water. Gatlinburg stocks regularly and the stockers are very fun fighters but you are under the microscope and the theme park atmosphere is in full effect. Maybe it's because I work up there maybe it's because I don't like people watching me fish or maybe I'm just bass ackwards but I drive through there on my way to wild trout streams often and don't think I'm missing much. I think Middleton caught the large rainbow there. The brown came from slickrock I think.

Last edited by jwebb541; 05-08-2008 at 11:45 PM..
Old 05-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62

Every time I pass through Gatlenberg I am drawn the the stream. And I am going to have to try it some time to get it out of my system but it just does not seem right. A big part of fly fishing is the solitude, nature, no need of a boat and motor and lack of croweds. Gatlenberg has all the stuff am try to escape.
But I know one day I will be fishing there acting like no one is there but that is going to be difficult.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:48 PM

We, of course, vacate every year in G-Burg. The wife and daughter love it and quite honestly I have enjoyed it for years. I fish in town every year while I'm there and understand how it wouldn't be for some people. I fish miles away from anything all year at home so it doesn't bother me to fish in town once or twice a year and the family loves it. My wife also fishes. Anyhow, said that to say this, last year I hung one of those stupid tame ducks. Thing flew perfectly through my cast before I could react, hung my BHPT right under it's wing!! Of all the ruckus me and that duck caused by the time I got that fly off him! I had a crowd of at least a hundred people watching by that time and when I got that duck off it was none too soon. It's funny now but at the time I was mad as a hornet.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauxier View Post
...(here's where neurotic confession begins)I don't like people watching me flyfish---I don't know why--it's not like having another fisherman downstream from you...
I know what you mean, but these days that's the nature of flyfishing. If you don't like crowds - spectators or fishermen - you wouldn't like the Beaverkill, the Battenkill, or much of the Henry's Fork and Madison. I tend to go into my own little world when chasing trout. I don't mind people watching as long as they don't start hootin' and hollerin' and throw stuff at me. That kind of destroys my concentration. ;-)
Old 05-08-2008, 04:16 PM

Are there many wild trout in the Gatlinburg water or are they just stockers?
Old 05-08-2008, 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=Bran;52281]Anyhow, said that to say this, last year I hung one of those stupid tame ducks. QUOTE]

When I first read this, I was just glancing at the posts and thought it was some new lingo for one of the large stockers Gatlinburg throws in. Then I went back and read the whole post. That is hillarious. I've caught some weird things, but never a duck, and in front of a crowd none the less.

Last edited by buzzmcmanus; 05-08-2008 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: needed a space
Old 05-08-2008, 05:09 PM

I have never caught a duck but do have a red tailed hawk and a huge bull frog on my list of unusal catches.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:54 PM

I have never Caught a duck with a fly rod, But I do have the distinction of being the only golfer in Nashville to kill a Canada Goose. We had a company Golf outing on a local course that has a large population of geese.And being just my luck I was on the tee box with one of the owners of the company I work for when I made one of those worm burner drives. Next thing I know one of the geese started going nuts with his neck and head at a strange angle. Of course everyone one had a good laugh at my expense. Well, as we left the tee box I walk down to pick up my ball and all the other geese started chasing me back to the cart. After we made the turn and started coming back toward that hole you could still see the wounded goose flopping around. My boss informed me that I should do the right thing and finish off the poor thing. We had one hole to go before we got back to the tee box. all I could think about was how I was going to catch the goose and wring its neck with all his friends chasing me. Good thing for me that the poor thing died before we got up there. For years after that at our annual customer tournament whatever team I was put on someone would ask if I was the goose killer. Thankfully a few years ago our tournament got so large that only customers could play and we moved it to another course. I have since put the clubs up and picked up the fly rod. But vendors will still come in my office and ask if I have been doing any geese hunting with a driver lately. I also set a tournament at one of the local Knights of Columbus tournaments here at Ted Rhodes golf course in Nashville by putting a ball in the water on all 18 holes. I am kind of proud of that because about 5 of the holes don't have water next to them. Needless to say golf is not for me.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:03 AM

Due to the distance to any fishable trout water from my home base I unfortunately play more golf than fish for trout....on one of our local courses there is a small creek that cuts across the fairway in front of one of the tees...one day my foursome allowed a man and his wife to play through...as they left after their tee shots I bet one of my friends I could tell if the husband was also a fisherman....he wanted to know how and I said watch him as he crosses the crreek....as he did he slowed to almost a stop and peer longingly into the water....just can't help it can we.