Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-18-2008, 03:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher
Default Davidson River 5-18-08

Took my buddy Jim up to the Davidson today. This was his first time fishing there so I didn't have much expectations. I hadn't even fished there in over a year so I was just hoping my usual spots still had fish that were willing to eat my usual flies.

We fished nymphs the entire day. I only saw one fish rise the entire time, which didn't seem to matter because the fish were taking our nymphs aggressively. I tied on a #12 tellico for Jim and dropped a #18 red copper john off of that. For myself I tied on a Smoky Mountain Blackbird and dropped a #20 Pheasant tail off of it. I caught a nice 9" Brown right out of the gates and was a little concerned that maybe I had tied the good flies on my rod and given Jim the wrong setup. However, this wasn't the case as Jim went on to catch the rest of the fish. We only fished about 3 1/2 hours. We probably had around 10-12 bites and managed to land 5. Jim to big fish honors with a beautiful brown that was in the 14-15" range. Jim caught two browns on the red copper john, and his two bows took the tellico. He also missed another brown in one of my favorite holes that was as big as his big fish of the day. It was great morning to be on the water before the storms get here this afternoon. The fishing was good, we just didn't do a great job of hook-setting. All-in-all Jim's first experience on the Davidson was very positive. Again Jim approached the fish in his usual khaki " business casual " attire and the fish responded. Here's a few pictures from the morning.

My 9" brown to start the day.

Jim's 12" Bow that made two very nice jumps before succumbing to Jim's superior angling skills.

Jim stalking a nice little hole with the tellico/copper john rig thats as deadly as his khaki pants attire.

Jim's big fish of the day deserves two pictures. He made a great cast, got a good drift and was rewarded nicely. This fish clearly has been eating well. I briefly held my tape against it and it was somewhere in between 14 and 15 inches.

This really was one of the prettiest browns I've seen on the Davidson even though my pictures don't do it justice.

The only problem now is that Jim is going to expect big fish like this every time I take him and won't want to pay my guide fees when he doesn't catch them.

Matt
Old 05-19-2008, 08:40 AM

If he didn't sqeeze the fish so hard maybe he would catch more.
HaHaHa... Looks like you guys had a great time and caught some nice fish.
Congrats.