Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-19-2008, 08:00 PM

Default Camping on the Clinch River

Where is the best place to camp and them fish nearby. Is that possible? Where is the best place to fish the Clinch period?

Thanks,

BRF
Old 05-19-2008, 08:06 PM

Alot of people like to fish by the jail. I guess if you got yourself in enough trouble, you could stay the night there! Seriously though, I believe there is a govt campground right by the dam. if not, there is a commercial campground off raccoon valley rd, which is a few miles drive from the river.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 PM

Which one of those is the most out of the way and or near good fly fishing?

Thanks again,

BRF
Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 PM

Also, which section of the river is the best to fish? Where can I park and wade in?

Thanks,

BRF
Old 05-19-2008, 10:17 PM

Default Norris Dam

Blue Raider Fan, Norris Dam State Park has some small cabins at the dam. Right now folks are wading in downstream at the jail. Lots of anglers during the sulfur hatch. Into June you might want to wade in at the weir dam. Fishing near the main dam is flat water and not every one's cup of tea, but fish are there. Be extra aware of the generation schedule when you are down close to the dam. Miller's Island also offers wade in access. Sure Knots, Monk
Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 PM

Yeah, I'd say the state park is the best bet for camping, but it's not very convenient, you might have to drive down to a spot to fish. I recommend driving down to the jail, but if you want to stay close on the upper part of the river, i would do millers island, but like monk said, make sure you are aware of the generation schedule. If they start running 2 it will be down there in 30 minutes.

To fish at the jail take 61 towards clinton and turn right as soon as you cross over the bridge. drive back to to the church and there are some signs up that tell you where you can park.

to millers island, come down the road from the dam a couple miles and take a right on river rd. the parking is there on the right, it's hard to miss.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:52 AM

Default Camp.

Norris Dam State Park has a campground up by their main office. From the weir dam you would drive up across the main dam toward Lake City. It's about 1.5-2.0 miles on the right after crossing the dam. They have a website with all the info or you can call @ 865-426-7461. The closest to the weir dam is the rustic cabins up by the dam. From the weir dam go toward the main dam and then right just before you cross it. The number above takes care of both locations. Just of the Norris/Clinton exit there is Fox Inn campground. It's the most centrally located between the weir dam and the jail/church. It's close to the interstate, so kind of noisy. I think the best bet would be the rustic cabins, close to the weir dam and it's only about a ten minute drive down to the jail. I know the area pretty well so if you need more detailed directions just let me know.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 PM

Fox Inn is an RV park. I'd stay up at Norris
Old 05-20-2008, 02:00 PM

Thanks for all of the info guys! The guy I'm with says he really wants to do some hiking, so I think I'll hit the Clinch in the Fall, we'll be headed to 18 (if it's available) a week from Saturday.. I'll print this thread out and save it for later!

Thanks Again,

BRF
Old 05-21-2008, 06:38 AM

That's right, Fox Inn is an RV park now. We used to tent camp there when we were kids and fish in the pond right next to the camp ground. Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure the pond is still there.
Sorry for the confusion,
Rob