Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 AM

Default the month of may

I was just thinking about how may has got to be my favorite month! Just wondering if anybody else has been tearin' em up lately on the wild streams? it seems like there is a hungry 8 or 9" rainbow in every single hole and usually a big fat brown as his neighbor! not to mention the fact that you can catch 3-4 brookies per hole in the higher elevation streams...three of us got the slam in deep creek last week in no time and my buddy caught about 150 in just a couple of hours! what a life! i love the mountains!

I can't keep my flies from falling apart (not a bad problem to have)! My go-to rig has been a female adams and a bhpt dropper. Anybody else using a different combination that is working well? I feel like if you get a good drift right now it will work, but i'm just curious how other people are doing.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:37 AM

Bugg, i have been having great success too this May. Lots of hungry fish in the park right now. Lots of solid healthy fish too. Most of my success this May has come from using yellow sally imitations and attractors. I have caught countless fish this month on a Yellow Doculator. Which i find to be a cross between a yellow stimulator and a neversink caddis because it is a bright yellow down-winged attractor but also has the yellow foam tied into it as well. #16 Yellow stimulators, and #16 yellow elk hair caddis have all produced well too. I have been seeing alot of yellow sallies this month. There were a few times last week when i have got into some small light colored mayfly hatches where the fish were in a complete frenzy. A #14 Light Cahill was the ticket. I couldnt grab a fly to see but i figured thats what they were anyways . A #12 Parachute Adams has been producing too, as always , and a great slate drake(isonychia) pattern for summer as well. For nymphs i have not strayed away from a #14-#16 BHPT. There have been some times where i figured i could have thrown anything, on a horrible drift too, and still have caught fish.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 PM

bugg,

Never had the chance to fish Deep Creek. Always found it interesting. Just wondering what camp site did you fish/hike to. If I was coming from Knoxville what would be the best way to Deep Creek. I have fished Hazel and came through the West end but this is a heck of a road.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:58 PM

150 fish!? Wow
Old 05-20-2008, 01:10 PM

Is it May already I better find those tax forms tonight
Old 05-20-2008, 04:20 PM

mac,

We stayed at 53 and walked in from Newfound Gap Road. Nice campsite and creek. We fished sections from 54 up to 53. The only thing to consider is the hike out if you go the way we did. Its kinda steep for about the last mile or so, but it can be done. You can also go through Bryson City and start at the parking lot on Deep Creek and walk up. There are a number of campsites to chose from and over 10 miles of creek to fish. Just look at a map because some of the sites require reservations to stay at. Good luck!!
Old 05-20-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugg View Post
my buddy caught about 150 in just a couple of hours!
...My fishing has been really good, but not that good.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM

May already? Only 219 shopping days left till Christmas
Old 05-20-2008, 11:00 PM

i say a couple of hours, it was from about 9 in the morning till about 5 in the evening. still, not a bad day at all. he caught 16 keepers (but only kept his limit, 5), mostly rainbows but had a couple of keeper specks too. the bigger fish would bite first and then two or three brookies after that hole after hole
Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 AM

Bugg,

Just took a look at the map and I see where you are talking about going in at Newfoundland Gap to about 3.9 to site 53. wondering about the size of Deep creek up there. In april I fished Hazel at camp site 82 and some at 83. Is Deep creek close to the same size or is it a lot smaller?

Thanks