Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 05-20-2008, 08:59 PM

Default Bears near campsite 18

trails near 18 are closed due to agressive bear. I was going to park at Treemont and hike into 18, but I think I'll try above Elkmont.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:28 PM

What is it about that area....several years ago it was closed down after a bear chased a jogger just above the institute.....I have been on that trail from Tremont over to 18 and there are places where there is really no place to go if you met up with one of those furry things.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:51 PM

Where are you finding the latest closings and information? Is it the NPS website? That is the website i usually check, but it doesnt say anything about backcountry 18 being closed. I was wondering if there was another site or something.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 PM

I was fishing the Little River several years ago just below Elkmont when a lady was found dead with a bear in attendence, never did hear for sure if it was ruled a true Bear attack, I think she was just a mile or two above the campground on the river trail.I saw all the rangers going by but did not know what happened until later that night. That was around 94-96 I think.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukee View Post
I was fishing the Little River several years ago just below Elkmont when a lady was found dead with a bear in attendence, never did hear for sure if it was ruled a true Bear attack, I think she was just a mile or two above the campground on the river trail.I saw all the rangers going by but did not know what happened until later that night. That was around 94-96 I think.
That happened in May 2000. Glenda Bradley was her name. She was my son's 4th grade teacher. Tragic. She was a wonderful lady. It was ruled a bear attack. It happened on the Little River Trail at the intersection with Goshen Prong Trail.

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:28 AM

http://www.tennesseehistory.com/archive/GSMNPbear.html

Link to the story.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:47 PM

I'm all bent out of shape now. What's this world coming to. Someone is suing the government because they didn't adaquately worn them that there might be dangerous animals in the woods!?! What do people want, someone to hold their hand and walk them through life. Maybe anytime someone sees a bear, we need to close the whole park so there is no chance of anyone being hurt. Just think, that $3.5 million dollars would be going to park improvements and not someone pocket.

Sorry for the rant.. I'm done now.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutAssassin View Post
Where are you finding the latest closings and information? Is it the NPS website? That is the website i usually check, but it doesnt say anything about backcountry 18 being closed. I was wondering if there was another site or something.

18 isn't closed, but the trails on the East side are (I forget which ones). I was told this over the phone. If you are going to 18, take some bear pepper spray because he is nearby (within a mile or two).
Old 05-21-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
18 isn't closed, but the trails on the East side are (I forget which ones). I was told this over the phone. If you are going to 18, take some bear pepper spray because he is nearby (within a mile or two).
Thanks BlueRaiderFan for the information . I was planning to go to up around 18 this later this week but not now. A hungry bear is the last thing i feel like running into.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I was coming out of Metcalf Bottoms a couple weeks ago, headed out the Wears Cove entrance to the park when I noticed a bear about 20 yards or so off the road. This was about 8 in th eevening. I stopped, he stopped... He wasn't too interested in me so he just went on foraging.

Never saw or heard any report of this "activity" even though a few other folks stopped to watch.

Sometimes they just need to eat...