Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 05-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Conspiracy theory

Now that I think about it... maybe that's the real reason they closed Little River Road between the Y and Metcalf for a couple weeks. Had nothing to do with fixing the Indian head... it was just the Park Service covering up all that ferocious bear activity at Metcalf Bottoms

Gerry
Old 05-21-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutAssassin View Post
Thanks BlueRaiderFan for the information . I was planning to go to up around 18 this later this week but not now. A hungry bear is the last thing i feel like running into.
Yeah, I cahnged my to #24. Will be there May 31st-June1st.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Romer View Post
Now that I think about it... maybe that's the real reason they closed Little River Road between the Y and Metcalf for a couple weeks. Had nothing to do with fixing the Indian head... it was just the Park Service covering up all that ferocious bear activity at Metcalf Bottoms

Gerry

Hey! It prolly really happened by golly!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5
Default bears

Ran into 2 coming out of 53 this past weekend in the middle of the day right behind 5 other people...about 10 minutes....2 big bears too, right around the unmaintained campsite...everyone be careful they are on the prowl
Old 05-21-2008, 08:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

it was turkeypen and schoolhouse gap that were closed...open now with warnings posted........
kittle river road now open all the way...with flagman near the indian's head
Old 05-21-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammcdonald View Post
it was turkeypen and schoolhouse gap that were closed...open now with warnings posted........
kittle river road now open all the way...with flagman near the indian's head
Yep, that was them...
Old 05-26-2008, 11:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

It's weird but when a bear sticks around in one place for more than a day or two hes labeled a "problem". What if he's just found a spot where the other bears havent eaten all the acorns yet, or maybe a mighty tastey ant hill or something.

As far as the park getting sued millions for dangerous animals and not beiong warned... I'm not so sure the omeny would have been used for improvements in the park anyway... Im not quite sure what they do with the millions in grants, gifts, and donations they get every year, but maybe they could start with opening some of the bathrooms that are always closed. If they haven't noticed people still use those closed bathrooms... Only now they go behind them instead of in them. watch your step around all closed bathrooms!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:26 PM

Any bear over 100lbs is a "problem" in my opinion! From what I understand, this bear was following people. They don't know why. My guess is someone threw the thing a stinkin' breakfast bar at some point and now it will pay with it's life. I wish people would just leave nature to it's own devices. It's a lot better for everyone.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:24 PM

I always consider it a bonus to see a bear when I fish.Anybody here ever been up Marks Creek?There is always lots of bear and hog sign up it,and about 20 feet up from the two poplars that fell on the hog trap is a big tree that looks like a very big bears scratching post,with claw marks all over it.I would much rather see a bear than another fisherman on a creek I'm fishing.The only thing that has ever attacked me in the mountains was a bunch of yellowjackets up near Goshen Prong,after I stuck my melon into the nest they were building in a laurel bush that hung over the creek.Got stung on both sides of the face and both wrists.A little Copenhagen juice took the pain out of the stings,and going back to fetch my rod was scarier than jumping out of a C 130 at night!
Old 05-26-2008, 08:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

Im not quite sure what they do with the millions in grants, gifts, and donations they get every year, but maybe they could start with opening some of the bathrooms that are always closed. If they haven't noticed people still use those closed bathrooms... Only now they go behind them instead of in them. watch your step around all closed bathrooms!

2weitght...

you are really not very informed as to the park budget...i don't wanna be nasty, but you should really not make budget statements until you learn a little about this park. how much have you contributed by joining the association? by doing trail work? by doing volunteer work? cleaning up after the visitors? how do you think we run a park with no fees?
sam