Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-21-2008, 12:01 AM

Default Skunked

It's time to fess up. I fished the park about 4 days between May 12-17, saw some fish, got a few nibbles and got real wet a few times in the rain, but caught nary a trout.
I fished Greenbriar and Tremont up and down around the Institute with no luck. Out at Greenbriar I pulled into a parking area not far up from the hq that looked like a perfect spot with real easy access. It was a wide run with plenty of casting room, but just wasn't my lucky spot.
Tried everything yellow I had in my box and experimented with some nymphs too.
The flow was pretty fast, I thought, and I struggled with my drifts. Maybe that was it.
Admittedly, I am a beginner and didn't get frustrated as it was only my second full-fledged fly fishing excursion.
What I got was determined to come back and fish some more.
I will return!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:32 AM

I am very sorry to hear that your trip here was unsuccessful in the fishing aspect of it. The fishing has been excellent here lately and its hard to guess what went wrong. Everybody has been skunked here and there. Luckily I havent been skunked in a while.....oops, i think i just jinxed myself . Its good that you did not get frustrated over the experience though. Just keep at it and dont set the bar too high. The fishing has been so good lately i think im starting to get spoiled. If im not bringing at least 10-15 fish to hand in about 3-4 hours of fishing, i go back to my car and throw a fit

Last edited by TroutAssassin; 05-21-2008 at 11:30 AM..
Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 AM

Hedge....We all have been humbled at this pursuit at one time or another...even a bad day on the water beats a good day at work...part of your learning experience will be to learn where to fish....if an area has easy access you can bet you are not the first one to be there and these fish get smart in a hurry....nothing wrong with your choice of waters....Greenbrier tends to fish better higher up.....while not really as open you might want to give Porter's Creek a try the next time you are over at Greenbrier....same with Tremont...the higher you go the better....as I am sure you have read on here before the further in you walk on the water the better the fishing...good luck the next time you get out.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:01 PM

You live and learn I guess.
Looking back on my trip I should have noticed that wherever I stopped to fish there was nobody else fishing.
Think maybe there was a reason for that? Duh!
Also, in the last several months I have become addicted to the LRO site, trying to learn as much as I can. Now, I realize that I have learned about rods, reels, lines, leaders and flies but haven't learned much about how to locate where the fish are.
For example, I know Tremont is a good fishing spot. But, exactly where in that water do the trout hang out?
Later, hedge
Old 05-21-2008, 01:50 PM

Default Skunked

Hedge,
Don't beat yourself up too much. We all get skunked and most of us get skunked far more than we would like to admit. It's kind of like Las Vegas, people tend to talk about how much they won, you don't hear many people returning who talk up the fact they lost their shirts...

There are fish in both the rivers you were in. As for Tremont, I've never caught anything but shinners below the institute. I know there are fish there and I've seen and heard people catching them, just I've never caught a trout that far down. I only get to the mountains three or four times a year so I'm not the expert that some of the guys here who live within an hour or two drive so listen to them.

Yes, walking or driving up a little past the crowds will lend to better chance of hitting less educated fish, but honestly most of the streams in the park see a number of fishermen. In fact, I think some of the fish can tell you which shop you bought your flies from and what brand of tippet you're using and probably how much you paid for it.

Specifically on Tremont, up past the institute is where I start catching trout. I really like to go up to the very end of the road and park at the trailhead parking lot and walk up the creek from there. Either side (left is Lynn Camp Prong and right is Thunderhead Prong). If you like small streams and tight casting Thunderhead is a nice stream. Not a bunch of fish but I do manage to catch a few up there.

I've only fished Greenbriar a couple times and that was in October and November so anything I say isn't going to translate to much for spring / early summer fishing.

But most of all, dont beat yourself up. We all get skunked. And for those few who do not get skunked, Ive taken their share upon myself.

Jeff
Old 05-21-2008, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I had a chance to fish Tremont this past Sunday after Troutfest wound down and the sun came back out. I only had a couple hours but I've got this favorite spot right at the institute... Within about 20 minutes I had one shiner, three decent bows (6" - 8" range) and a few dinks. I think the key is stealth. This particular spot offers a good deal of streamside cover so I can get right to the water without having to wade. Someone wiser than me once said, "Don't wade if you can get to the water without having to".

Trust me, the fish are in there. The odds are they saw you and spooked long before you thought they could.

Stealth, stealth, stealth!

Oh yeah... long light tippets, too.

Gerry
Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
As for Tremont, I've never caught anything but shinners below the institute.
If you are fishing anywhere below tremont institute your going to spend all your time keeping shiners from slapping at your fly like jeff said, and what fish you do catch are almost all dinks. Next time you are in town try higher elevation spots like the rest of the guys said. You will find bigger fish and better numbers.

Last edited by TroutAssassin; 05-21-2008 at 09:03 PM..
Old 05-21-2008, 07:25 PM

Fellas, thanks for all the kind advice.
Because of your help, one day soon I will be posting about all the trout I caught.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:56 AM

I agree with Gerry 100%. The most important aspect of fishing the mountains is stealth. We have all caught fish while standing straight up, but you will have much much much more luck when fishing from a squatting or kneeling position. Heck ive even laid down in a few spots.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:01 PM

Sometimes I wish I could be like those cartoon indians that slinked around the rocks and trees like a snake....I keep waiting for LRO to start selling those tiling knee pads as stalking accessories....there have been many a time when I have laid out more line over rocks and gravel than I had in the water...