Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 AM

Default Rookie Question

I am backpacking and fishing my way up to site #24 from Elkmont a week from Saturday. Should I just keep my pack on when fishing, or set it on the shore? What about my vest and net? I was thinking that I could just tie my net off to my pack and leave the vest inside of it just in case I need some tools/tippet etc. Should I bring my wading boots? If so, should I just keep them on the whole time? Thanks,

BRF
Old 05-22-2008, 10:53 AM

I absolutely love this trip you are taking....when I first started backpacking/fishing this is where I would end up....the problem with fishing your way up to the campsite is you may never make it.....I would usually get to the campsite, set up and then fish upstream or walk back down and fish back up to camp....if you are set on fishing on the way up I would keep a small box of flies and some tippet material in a side pocket and just stick your pack behing a tree off the trail when you fish....I generally hike in in my fishing boots....weigh too much and take up too much room to pack....if you start fishing from 24 and fish upstream you can catch a slam pretty often....it is a 1/2 mile back down to the fork where Fish Camp Prong comes in...there is some great dry fly fishing back in there....and with the water the way it is right now you can even play in Rough Creek right at the campsite and have some fun....keep an eye out in the evening....early June can also bring out those synchronized fire flies at the campsite and they put on quite the show....good luck and let us know how you do...
Old 05-22-2008, 11:24 AM

Hello All, It's been a while since I have been active here. I have been a prisoner to 8 beautiful women deep in the backwoods of the smokies. Ok, I wish!

Hey Raiderfan,

I have evolved my backcountry technique quiet a bit over the past couple of years. Here is what I do.

Pack- Depends on your pack weight. I don't like to wear mine while fishing even though my summer weight is < 20 pounds with food and water. Your going to #24 so you will have food in your pack. I walk up stream a ways and hang my pack with 50/50 cord. I then walk back down stream and fish up to my pack(repeat) if needed. A Pack on the ground with food can ruin your trip and most likely our backcountry furry friend will become a "dead bear" once he gets his first pack with food! Just saying..

Net- I don't use one...

Vest- I use a "Lanyard" Buy or make one. Very simple and easy.. Try it,you'll love it..

Wading Boots- I no longer wear them(except winter). I wear trail runners and remove the insert and my socks and put them in my pocket. The mesh of the shoes lets water escape very effectively and they dry quickly when hiking. I am a little more vigilant with my steps. Works for me.

Liteweight/mulitple use/minimalist approach is my moto. Back to the girls...

Good luck BRF!

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 05-22-2008, 01:45 PM

Guys, thanks for all the info! I knew I should have bought that lanyard...I can stop by LRO and get one :] I'm really excited about this trip...My next venture will be the Clinch or Holston :] I wish I had found this hobby 10 years ago. I am LOVING every minute of it!

BRF

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 05-22-2008 at 08:04 PM..