Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 05-22-2008, 07:16 PM

Default Fishing sites with my wife as a nonfisherman

I am coming down to the area June 4th for four days. I would like to do some flyfishing, but my wife wants to read and relax while I fish. She would like to be near me so we can enjoy lunch together and do a little hiking, also.
Any suggestions where we should go?

Is Abram's Creek a possibility? Someone told me it was a dangerous place to fish because it's so slippery.

Any help would be appreciated.

From Valparaiso, IN
Also, how about the west branch of pigeon river going up 441. How do I access, ie pull offs. Is the fishing avgerage or poor or any suggestions about this area. I've been looking at a detailed map. Quess I should have done that in the first place. This is a great site. Thanks for any help. I need a break from the hospital life.

Last edited by bob4203; 05-29-2008 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: to add more questions
Old 05-22-2008, 10:08 PM

Default Elkmont

Bob, the area along the first mile of the Abrams Creek Trail is not too bad for someone to stop and read while the other is fishing, but the rhododendron canopy is quite thick in many spots and I think there are better options. And yes, the stream bed is pretty slick (more so than any other stream in the park).

If it were me, I'd go somewhere up on the Little River Trail above Elkmont. The Little River Trail is fairly flat and has lots of good areas to stop while someone else is fishing. Plus there are a number of side trails that you can also hike, when you're not fishing.

I would normally also recommend the Middle Prong Trail, but because you are coming on June 4th, you would be there during the Lynn Camp Fish-out and it might be crowded.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-22-2008, 11:28 PM

Welcome to the board! I'll second Elkmont...definitely a good hike/fish option and the stream is right be the trail for a good portion of the way up...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-24-2008, 10:30 AM

Smile

This is exactly how my wife and I operate, so I will suggest middle prong. She normally reads, hikes and photographs nature while I fish. The stream follows the path fairly well, and she can sit on the greybacks and watch while you cast if she is really bored.