Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-25-2008, 09:13 PM

Default Road Prong 05-25-08

Took my oldest son Drew up to Road Prong today to see if we could get him his first fish on a flyrod. After fighting through the traffic up to the Chimney Tops, we hit the trail at about 10am and started fishing from above the 4th bridge around 10:30. I picked up a few fish in the first couple of pools and it looked like it was going to be a banner day. Unfortunately the fish had other ideas...

The sun was quite bright and while the fish kept examining flies as they drifted by, we didn't have any takers. After about two hours I started to worry that we wouldn't catch anymore. Finally, after what seemed to be too long of a time between fish, Drew finally had his first fish hooked and landed. It was a very nice 7" brookie. An excellent first fish!

The fishing remained slow until about the last hour that we were on the water. Even in all the normally active areas, the fish weren't cooperative. Near the large deadfall (around 2pm) the fishing really started to pick up. We caught and released about 14 fish in the last hour between the deadfall and the large waterfall (Trickle Falls?). It had clouded up a bit and after trying all sorts of new flies, I switched back to a #16 Yellow Stimi and immediately caught fish. We caught four in the 7-9" range, with the rest 4-6".

A nice 9" Brookie

Almost more amazing that his first six fish caught, Drew only lost one fly all day. And that was from snapping off a fish, not from the Rhodies...I had worried that after several trips with no luck catching that he would lose interest, but after today I think we will have another addict...he's already been bugging me to tie some more flies this evening and trying to figure out when we can go again next week...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-25-2008, 09:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Congats!!

And congrats!!!

Gerry
Old 05-25-2008, 11:34 PM

Pete,
Sounds like a great day. Nothing like getting out with the son fly fishing - especially if he has caught the bug. Don't get out often enough with mine. Still looking forward to that first good trip up RP.

Gerry,
Did you get caught in the "post must be at least 10 characters" error? I once had to add "...and amen" to a response of "Amen" just to make it legal.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 05-27-2008, 01:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Not this time...

I was just sending my congrats to each of them.

I did have that happen once though...

Gerry
Old 05-27-2008, 01:25 PM

PeteCz --- that Road Prong has to be one of my all time favorite small streams in the Smokies. I have been on it five times this spring from Walker Prong all the way up to where there are no more fishable waters. Great job, not on the fish you caught per se, but for investing in your son! Jeff
Old 05-27-2008, 03:52 PM

Pete, thanks for the message. I plan to take my nephew to this area. He is 18 and has never landed a trout. We are planning a trip 2nd week of june.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:15 PM

Danny, This trip is not for the faint of heart. You and your nephew will need to have tremendous patience and more than likely a lot of flies. Its a very tight stream in spots and you will have to do a fair amount of bouldering. Send me an e-mail at petecz[at]charter(dot)net and I'll give you a few thoughts on how best to do the trip, if you'd like.

Gerry and Charlie, Thanks! I can only hope to have him grow up to be a fisherman like your sons...

Jeff, leave the rest of us a few brookies up there will ya
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=10443
Have you fished up there much, before this year?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 PM

Pete, congrats on the great visit to Road Prong for you and your son, and beautiful photos of the brookies. I had a question (for you or anyone that might like to answer)...I hiked up along Road Prong with my fiancee to Chimney Tops last June, fished a little at the lower end (near the confluence with Walker Camp Prong), I missed a good Rainbow several times, spied a couple others, then started seeing specs up at the 3rd bridge crossing of the creek (didn't fish here, just watched 'em), just before the trail branches off to the Chimney Tops...so, the question--the 4th bridge crossing you spoke of, is that upstream beyond the trail junction with the trail to Chimney Tops? I'm returning with my better half to the Smokies in a week, and I thought I might venture up this lovely creek again for a day to explore...thanks in advance for any help!

Iain
Old 05-27-2008, 08:25 PM

Iain,

The Chimney Tops Trail comes out of the parking lot along US441 and follows Road Prong for the first .9 miles of the trail. There are four bridge crossings on your way up, the 4th being that last before the lower trailhead for the Road Prong Trail which then heads up to the AT and the Chimney Tops Trail leaves the stream and heads to the Chimney Tops...

Remember RP can be a pretty tough way to spend a day with all the rock-hopping and climbing that is required (not to mention all the vegetation). Its not a section of stream to be taken lightly. Once you get to Trickling Falls you need to back-track about 100 ft or more and pick a way out of Rhododendron **** up to the trail on your right (as you face upstream).

You could also fish from bridge 3 to bridge 4. Its closer to the major trail and doesn't require as much climbing as the other sections.

Shoot me an email (at the one listed above) and I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

btw, Westslope doesn't happen to refer to Colorado, does it?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:58 PM

Pete,

Thanks for the info--I know exactly where you are referring to now. And thanks for the warning about the terrain and stream conditions up there too, if I go, I'll be careful...I actually like venturing into those tangles and rocky streams, with solitude and wild trout as companions, while still being mindful of safety...

I'll drop you an e-mail if I have any other questions, thanks!

Oh yeah, Westslope refers to a couple things, one being Oregon (way west, I guess) where I grew up (some grand fly fishing out there too, if you ever find yourself in the neighborhood, including some wild little streams reminiscent of the Smokies), and Westslope cutthroat, one of the native trout out west I have a soft spot for...since you mentioned it, I've spent a fair amount of time in Colorado too, some relatives out that way (and again, wonderful fishing). If you ever had some questions about any of the above, let me know, I'd be happy to share.

I'll make sure to post a report after the trip next week too!

Iain