Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-02-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Report from west prong/ abrams

Just wanted yall to know that I fished west prong late last we and ended up with 13 bows. Most of them were small but one of them was in the 7-8 inch range which from what I understand is a good fish for this part of the creek. Saturday I took my roomate fishing on Abrams Creek we hiked about 30 min in and were going to fish our way back, but after a couple hours and two decient sized rainbows my roomate said that he had all that he could take "he's a city slicker". I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that would want to fish some of the park with me. I usually fish it 4 times a week and late in the day. I just moved up here from Mississippi and am still learning a lot about how to read these moutain streams. I also am having a very hard time catching fish on the little river I think I got the small creek thing down but when it comes to Little River towards Maryville I am totally lost. I even found myself picking up my ultralight and fishing for smallies last friday (I caught a good 2.5 pounder though which made it worth it). I have yet to catch a trout with myfly rod on the "bigger water" so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 06-02-2008, 02:38 PM

I'd be happy to join you except I live in Nashville and can't get up that often. As far as fly fishing in town, I've had success fishing from the road and hiding behind one of the big boulders by one of the pull offs next to the main drag. I think a streamer would work well. Get a couple of different colors, or maybe try a Clouser.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:09 AM

Default missing the hit

i was up off huskey branch up by elkmont and was having some of the same problems. As a fairly new fly fisherman it was frustrating to get the hits but not hook a single one. All i know is when i finally get one up there it will be that much more rewarding.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzimmerman View Post
Just wanted yall to know that I fished west prong late last we and ended up with 13 bows. Most of them were small but one of them was in the 7-8 inch range which from what I understand is a good fish for this part of the creek. Saturday I took my roomate fishing on Abrams Creek we hiked about 30 min in and were going to fish our way back, but after a couple hours and two decient sized rainbows my roomate said that he had all that he could take "he's a city slicker". I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that would want to fish some of the park with me. I usually fish it 4 times a week and late in the day. I just moved up here from Mississippi and am still learning a lot about how to read these moutain streams. I also am having a very hard time catching fish on the little river I think I got the small creek thing down but when it comes to Little River towards Maryville I am totally lost. I even found myself picking up my ultralight and fishing for smallies last friday (I caught a good 2.5 pounder though which made it worth it). I have yet to catch a trout with myfly rod on the "bigger water" so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

shoot me an email sometime if you need a fishing partner. I work most days during the week. I can fish late in the day during the week (around five or so). My weekends are usually open for the most part. bktaylor@milligan.edu

Ben