Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-26-2008, 12:19 PM

Default Day of Firsts...

As the saying goes, there's a first time for everything...and in keeping with a resolution to take advantage of the warmwater access closer to home, I headed out to look for smallies with a popper and hopefully try for some carp on a fly...

I still think the larger bronzebacks were on bed (could be wrong - Gary?) because I spotted quite few bruisers in the shallows along the river banks looked as though hovering around depressions and so I didn't wade or even make an attempt on them, but I did find some find some smaller fish in the swifter water willing to take my jointed hellgramite pattern and a popper chugged in tailouts and accross some swifter currents..

That anticipation of a smallie crashing a popper is a definate rush...even if its a smaller fish, they are out to kill that bug on the end of your line with all they've got...I've heard they can sip 'em as dainty as a trout, but today they were out with extreme prejudice...

There were some pods carp about and so I strung up the jointed hellgramite and did the sight, sneak, 'n sling maneuver...funny how the plop of the fly actually caused all the fished to head to the sound, couple of strips, and though I missed a few takes the first fish I had was at least a three footer with shoulders at least as wide - I didn't stand chance...if you want to feel power - hook a carp and hand on for the ride! My hands were shaking after the almost being completely spooled and then the LDR....

The drag reset and found the next and smaller test subject I managed this guy - my first to hand and still a brute, the picture doesn't do it justice...

I know they are "trash" fish, but man they are a blast... will definately test your skills and put a satisfying bend in your rod!
Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborn View Post
...I've heard they can sip 'em as dainty as a trout, but today they were out with extreme prejudice...
The first smallie I ever caught was trying to keep a bluegill from eating my popper and he just cruised in and sipped it off the surface. It all happened about 5 ft from where I was standing and it was cool to see. Although, I do love it when the "crash" the surface. Good pictures. Sounds like a good day!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 PM

Waterborn, There may still be some spawning going on but most of the bigger Smallies 16" and up that I've caught that are probably the females over the past two weeks, have "skinnied back up, and lost the big gut of the pre-spawn.
Go to a different river though, and the spawn may just be beginning.

BTW, I think that carp are awesome on the fly! I'm going for Gar again soon also. They are fun but difficult to land without the right equipment for the release.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:20 AM

Default Carpin'

Waterborn, Nice carp. Those big ones are real brutes. I've had on a couple I couldn't get in. Not trash fish, but more like fresh water bonefish. With travel being expensive a lot of us a are fishing local these days. Like to see a pic of your hellgramite pattern. Thanks, Monktrout
Old 05-27-2008, 05:11 PM

I saw plenty of gar as well - I'm after one as well, though I didn't have anything to show them they'd be interested, I did find a pattern online I want to try later...
Monktrout, the pattern is the one I tried out for the LRO Forum smallie swap and I think the pic is posted in the "General Fly Tying" under the "Smallmouth Streamer Fly Swap 2008 Pictures"...I used mono for the joint, which held up so far, but I'm going to give 30lb superbraid a try - seems stronger and more flexible for what I the fly to do....
ALflygirl, I can't wait to see that first smallie rise but I tell ya, that spray of water on the take definately gets the blood goin'...
Old 06-02-2008, 04:24 PM

There are some Cicaddis hatching around some of the lakes... they make for some fun fly rod action. I throw an ugly large fly and we get smallies, large mouth and some large carp... it's a lot of fun. I use an 8 wt. and it will still break some tackle.