Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-27-2008, 10:53 AM

Default Thunderhead

I have never read much traffic on fishing Thunderhead. Going up to Sams Creek over the weekend, Thunderhead looked like a really nice stream. Have any of you folks spent much time fishing this stream? If so, how far up and with what results?

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 05-27-2008, 01:36 PM

I have fished Thunderhead Prong for years and enjoy it greatly. Since it is not marked with a trail sign at Middle Prong intersection there are not many hikers either. The trail that follows closely by was called Defeat Ridge Trail and eventually enters the AT about 200 yards west of Thunderhead Mountain. According to Daniel on a fishing report, Matt Kulp informed us that Sams Creek is now open after a few years off. Sams Creek and Thunderhead used to be marked with two signs and a cable across Sams Creek (it enters Thunderhead from the east...left, going upstream). About a 1/2 mile or so above there Thunderhead gets a little steeper and you have a few trees to crawl over. Since it is a small stream with pocket water you will have fun.

---Jeff
Old 05-27-2008, 08:46 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback. This gives me another option for a quick trip to the Smokies (also from Maryville) that doesn't involve fishing along a road. Particularly after Lynn Camp closes. Still wake up at night crying over that one from time to time.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 05-27-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
Particularly after Lynn Camp closes. Still wake up at night crying over that one from time to time.
I feel your pain . I love lynn camp prong and find myself fishing it sometimes 2 and 3 times a week. Oh well, it will be the closest brookie water to my house when its finished.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:52 PM

When are they closing Lynn Camp?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:42 PM

Brook trout restoration project.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mora521 View Post
Brook trout restoration project.
Yeah, but when is the last day to fish it?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 PM

Blueraider, The fish out starts on June 2. Now dont take me a 100% correct on this next part, but if my memory serves me well, i may not be correct, but the stream is closed to all fishing above the cascade starting sometime in early August? I could be completely wrong though. Somebody back me up on this.

Last edited by TroutAssassin; 05-28-2008 at 10:12 AM..
Old 05-28-2008, 02:16 PM

My grandfather introduced me to Tremont and in his later years that is where we fished almost exclusively since it did not require much walking....when we did walk it was usually above the Cascades....it was only after he passed that my fishing buddy and I took off exploring Thunderhead....those first couple of big plunge pools above the parking area just look so fishy....the fishing has been consistently inconsistent....did manage a 12" brown up past Sam's Creek one October...big surprise back then....guess there will be a lot more pressure on this water once they close down Lynn Camp....maybe when they re-open Lynn Camp they will think to give Thunderhead a rest for a year.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:59 PM

My son and I fished Thunderhead a couple times when we were there in March. Very pretty stream. Didn't catch a lot of fish but it was pretty.

I'm so bummed out about Lynn Camp closing above the cascades. That is where my son caught his first (non guided) trout in the Smokeys and it's always been a very special place for us.

He's 13 now. I hope it reopens in time for us to enjoy a few more trips before he gets married and a job and all the responsibilities of adulthood that will greatly limit our time to fish together.

Maybe some day he'll take the old man up there instead of me taking him. That would be very nice.

Perhaps over the next couple years, Thunderhead will become our special place.

Jeff