Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-28-2008, 04:02 PM

Lynn Camp fish-out will be June 2nd through the 14th. After the 14th it will reopen with regular regulations until September. It will then close again for the chemical introduction. NPS says it will be closed from the cascades all the way up until late spring/early summer of 2009. At that point they will reintroduce brookies and eventually open it for anglers. I am no fisheries biologist but can you imagine Lynn Camp Prong (8 1/2 miles) being a pure brook trout stream?!!! It will be fabulous. I read recently that in 1934 there was around 450 miles of waters with brook trout in them and now we are down to about 150 miles, but with the efforts of NPS and TU and other organizations this will add a world class stream which will be a gem.

----Jeff
Old 05-28-2008, 04:25 PM

Does anyone have any idea how high they are going when they start poisoning the stream.....I trust this will not just be a one time thing....with all the tribs up there it is hard to believe that they will be able to clean out all the rainbows in a single application.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:15 PM

Default Good Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
Does anyone have any idea how high they are going when they start poisoning the stream.....I trust this will not just be a one time thing....with all the tribs up there it is hard to believe that they will be able to clean out all the rainbows in a single application.
Rog, that's a great questions. You would think that they would have to get them all out (including the tribs), or the rainbows would just repopulate the main stem eventually. I had read a very detailed plan for the project over a year ago, but I can't seem to find it anywhere this afternoon. Hopefully someone can dig up a link for it.

Mayday (Jeff), I'm with you. We'll never recapture the true experience of the past, but in those instances where local strains can be reintroduced with a high probability of success, why not do it? If not for us, at least for those who come after us. Its good to know that we are doing something to enhance the future, even if it means we have to suffer a bit for the next 5-7 years (or more).

After all, there are still a lot of streams to be fished in the park...now we have a reason to explore more...

Here's a good article about the project from one of the local papers:
http://www.newportplaintalk.com/story/25870

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-28-2008, 06:30 PM

Here you go.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/upl...eek-Report.pdf

Neal
Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutAssassin View Post
Blueraider, The fish out starts on June 2. Now dont take me a 100% correct on this next part, but if my memory serves me well, i may not be correct, but the stream is closed to all fishing above the cascade starting sometime in early August? I could be completely wrong though. Somebody back me up on this.
Thanks for the info. What does "fish out" mean? Can I fish it this weekend or not until June 2nd?
Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 PM

The link doesn't seem to be working. I have already downloaded the pdf file. If you want me to send it to you contact me at the address listed below.

Neal

pineman19@yahoo.com
Old 05-28-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Thanks for the info. What does "fish out" mean? Can I fish it this weekend or not until June 2nd?
You can fish any time between now and when the stream closes for good near the end of summer. Which i believe is sometime in August or September, ask somebody else to be sure. The fish out starts on June 2nd and is about a week long event. This allows fishermen to keep any and all rainbows they catch above the cascade regardless of their size. Then later on the park service will chemically kill the remaining rainbows clearing the way for the brook trout restoration in that stream. I personally probably wont fish lynn camp at all or nearly as much after the fish out. I just would feel like i was wasting my time knowing that the population would have been cut down a good bit.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:01 PM

Mayday, i am with you though, Lynn camp will be an incredible, easy to access brook trout stream. I already cant wait till its done. I got a while to wait though