Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-27-2008, 04:09 PM

Default Smoky Slam (with an asterisk!)

Made my annual trip from Cincinnati last week, and my only goal was at least one brook trout. Stopped in at LRO for the usual great advice and to drop a few bucks, set up camp at Elkmont and started fishing the Little River. I found the fish to be small but eager. Got the rainbow first, then headed up to Chimney Tops at the advice of some people on this board. First, I must say that I have never fished a more beautiful piece of water in my life. This was unlike any type of fishing I had ever done before. I got my first ever brookie and then 5 more there, but I also decided that is where I want my ashes deposited after I tie my last fly. I did take a couple of tumbles while hopping from boulder to boulder, but it just made the campfire stories that much better! Then the next morning I managed a brownie just before it was time to break camp, so that my friends is my "modified" Smoky Slam story.

Thanks to those who replied to an earlier post asking where I could catch a brookie. You helped make my whole trip worthwhile.

Teefly
Old 05-27-2008, 06:53 PM

Great job on your slam! Good to see that the fishing was pretty good for your trip. Dont worry about taking a tumble here and there. What would fishing in the Smokies be if you didnt fall into the water and look like an idiot occasionally . Just remember, if you know your going down, raise your rod and reel high in the air . I always sacrifice my body before my gear
Old 05-27-2008, 08:15 PM

I thought slams only came with an asterisk if it turned out later that the angler was taking steroids or HGH, to speed recovery between trips or help haul in the hogs.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:36 PM

glad you had a great trip! sounds like someone is officially addicted
Old 05-28-2008, 03:28 AM

Nice sounding trip! Thanks for sharing it with us. Congrats on the slam.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:39 AM

Default Yes sir...

You folks that live in the area of the park are very fortunate. I used to think that I eventually wanted to retire near a beach, but after making several fishing trips to the GSMNP I'm starting to re-think all that.

Regarding the asterisk.....I did not have any steroids or HGH in my system, but there might have been some left over Ambien that I had to take just to be able to sleep in the back of a pick-up truck in 50 degree temps. My buddies won't let me in the tent because of my snoring!

teefly
Old 05-28-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
My buddies won't let me in the tent because of my snoring!
Is that what they call it these days?

My buddies won't let me in the tent either, but they use a different word to describe the reason...

Jeff
Old 05-28-2008, 06:49 PM

I highly recommend living in the Smokies. I like to visit the ocean, I love it. Can't wait to go back. I thought about moving to the Rockies but since I already had a piece of land here and friends and family close by I chose Townsend in 91. No regrets. I never thought I'd be selling fishing tackle for a living but I have always wanted to.

Teefly, Great report and congratulations on the slam. You can do it above Elkmont too if you keep walking past a lot of pretty water. That's tough to do.

Byron
Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Default Above Elkmont

Byron,

Others told me the same thing about being tempted to stop and fish as you make your way up that trail. I'll be back next month to give that a try. Is there a landmark or some way to know when you've gone high enough to expect to see brook trout?

teefly
Old 05-29-2008, 05:10 PM

Shortest route to brookies above Elkmont is to head up above campsite 24...that is exactly 4.2 miles from the trailhead....if you start fishing in the vicinity of #24 you have a chance to score a slam out of that part of the stream....if you push up to the end of the trail to the last campsite, up the left fork there is a vertical water fall that once you climb over it there is nothing but brookies and the area is idyllic....but it is quite a haul for a single day trip....best bet is to camp at 24 or 30 and spend a couple of days exploring the waters around there.