Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-28-2008, 07:44 AM

Default Best Place in the Smokey's to Catch

a HOG? Tennessee side? NC side?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 AM

I guess the term "hog' or "hawg" is all relative...a 10" brookie is definitely a hog in my book....from past reports and photos here the LR has produced some big browns....my personal best is a 14" brown but I have seen some that would put this little piggy to shame.....for some reason the bows just don't seem to get that big....I have caught one that measured 16" and it was classified as a hummer ada hog by my fishing buddy...
Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 AM

Can you be more specific? Were do you think the big uns are on the little river? Or is it just random?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:17 PM

Get yourself a pair of polarized sunglasses and take an afternoon and walk the road and do a little scouting.....reading through some of the older posts on this board will clue you in to where and what to look for....
Old 05-28-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
Get yourself a pair of polarized sunglasses and take an afternoon and walk the road and do a little scouting.....reading through some of the older posts on this board will clue you in to where and what to look for....
Thanks, Rog. I'll do that. I have read a couple of threads before, but I like to keep the post count up I'll let you know that I find out this weekend.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:54 PM

The biggest browns I have ever caught came from the part of a creek that flows through national forest lands in NC before it empties into a dioxin polluted lake.Most of this creek is in the park.The biggest browns I have ever seen came out of Hazel creek and were caught by a sport using worms.The biggest rainbows I have caught came out of Abrams Creek,and I talked to a bait slinger in 1980 that had a stringer of five fish that were all over 20 inches long,all rainbows.Since I am allergic to people the only time I did much fishing on the main part of Little River was when the road was closed in 93 after the flood,it was surreal to fish and camp along that river for days at a time and see only road workers and gravel trucks.And the dead deer stuck up in a tree about 15 feet above the creek was wierd too.From the pictures I have seen on the net Little River from sinks to Elkmont seems to be the best bet for browns.I ain't saying nothing about where I have caught the biggest Brook trout except your boots better be made for walking.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:23 PM

Mora,

Thanks! That was good stuf! I'll let you know how I do.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:27 PM

Is there a trail head a guy could drive to to get to Hazel Creek? I looked on the map and didn't really see any.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5
Default ...

the AT at CLingman's Dome, or Fontana Dam...if you could drive right to it it wouldn't be worth fishing
Old 05-28-2008, 05:02 PM

I mostly fish in the North Carolina side. My largest brown was 15 3/4" and caught in the NC side. My largest rainbows were both 11 1/2" and one was caught in NC side and the other the TN side. My largest brook trout were 9 1/2" and caught in three separate streams in North Carolina. Interestingly enough, all of these trout and char were caught on dry flies.

Due to the PH quality, I would suspect the largest trout to be in the TN side.