Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-28-2008, 11:48 AM

Default Wet wadding in June

All,
Will the temp be right to wet wade around the week of June 14th? I can take pretty cold water, just wondering how cold it will be then.
Thanks
Danny
Old 05-28-2008, 12:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Danny,

It will be perfect for wet wading. I've been wet wading since late April. Usually April through October is comfortable wet wading for me, unless its unusually cold early in the spring/fall. I stop using the waders as soon as possible. As long as the water is low 50's or better its wet-wading conditions in my opinion.

Matt
Old 05-28-2008, 12:12 PM

I am with scflyfisher.....my fishing experience in the park is that from mid-April through mid-October wet wading is the only way to go....began wading in Levi's until I got old enough to know better....then went to shorts even in October....have now moved up to the nylon fishing pants....helps with the briars and stinging nettles....these dry quickly and are easy to hike out in....
Old 05-28-2008, 12:42 PM

Yeah wet wading season has already kicked off. I'll be wet wading this weekend on upper deep creek and boy will it be nice not having to lug my waders in my backpack. I tend to start wet wading a little earlier than most, but i pretty much wet wade from april-october like the others have said.

Craig
Old 05-28-2008, 03:26 PM

Cotton has a moisture regain of about 25% while Nylon is only about 3%. What this means is that in Levis, you are absorbing and carrying about 25% of the weight of those jeans in water. Nylon is the way to go. (I guess that Textile Engineering degree comes in handy sometimes)
Old 05-28-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeckett View Post
All,
Will the temp be right to wet wade around the week of June 14th? I can take pretty cold water, just wondering how cold it will be then.
Thanks
Danny
If you can't take the cold, you don't want to wet wade any time of the year in the Smokey's, from what I've experienced. "Warm" is relative. I would bring some waders just in case.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 PM

Default Wet Wading

As my age brings tollerances down, I have found to use neoprene socks with my wading boots works well. If feet are not cold then legs can take the cold water. Hope this helps