Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-29-2008, 06:53 AM

Default Any regular hatches up high yet?

Hello all, heading out to upper deep creek tomorrow for a few nights and was wondering if anyone has fished up high a few times this year and have you noticed any consistent hatches? I didn't know if the yellow sallies had made it up that far quite yet or not, but one can only hope. I figure there will be no shortage of insect activity but thought maybe there was one hatch that had been overshadowing the others. Thanks.

Craig
Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 AM

Default Yellow sallies

Hey Craig, Last weekend there were sporadic hatches of Yellow sallies on Road Prong around 4000' mainly in the afternoon. It wasn't a blizzard, but they kept coming off fairly regularly...I did fine with a #16 Yellow Stimi.

I suspect the fish on Upper Deep Creek aren't very picky....

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-29-2008, 09:30 AM

Thanks. No i don't figure they will be real picky either, but it's always nice to know which direction to start off in. I am planning on starting off with either an ehc or ant, both of which should bring fish, especially the more naive ones, to hand pretty quickly. Just didn't know if the higher elevations were still into the gray colored hatches or if they were transitioning over into the lighter colored hatches. Thanks again.

Craig
Old 05-29-2008, 10:14 AM

when we were at 53 about three weeks ago, there was lots of yellow bugs throughout the day and then all sorts of colors in the evening. i don't think you're gonna have much of a problem finding a winning pattern. which campsite are you staying at?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:20 PM

We are coming down from newfound gap road and staying at 53 for two nights. We were planning on accessing campsite 82 on hazel via the dome but since we could only manage one day off of work we figured it would be best to wait and make that a 4 day trip. Hopefully the fishing will be good, i know it sure looks like the weather will cooperate with us. Thanks for the info, a neversink caddis with a yellarhammer is looking like a good option right now.

Craig
Old 05-29-2008, 08:12 PM

Default Yellow Sallies

Hey everyone,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but stoneflys crawl out of the water to hatch correct? I think they hover over the water in the evenings and dip in the water to deposit their eggs, so that is when the trout key on them. So when folks refer to a stonefly hatch, they really mean the egg laying phase.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:21 PM

Just noticed on the nps website that 53 is closed. Did not say why.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFnut View Post
Hey everyone,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but stoneflys crawl out of the water to hatch correct?

Actually, I've read several places now (confirming what I thought I'd been seeing) that there are exceptions to that rule, and our Little Yellow Stoneflies are among them. They also lay eggs as you described, but if you watch closely when they're emerging, you'll see them pop right out of the water.

-Milton
Old 05-30-2008, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

My bet is bear activity! I saw 2 monsters coming out, and heard one the first night cruising through camp.