Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-01-2008, 02:53 PM

Default Depressing

Well, I had it all plaanned out to go to campsite 24 above Elkmont, but we decided to try to stay at Elkmont and fish above Treemont. We hit the river just after the nature center and later drove to the end and walked about 1/4 of a mile up the trail and fished there for a bit, but we didn't catch squat. I caught one little shad of some sort and that was it. I don't k now if back country is the only way to catch 'em or if I just am that bad at finding and catching them. I think I may get a guide from LRO to help me get my skills up and show me some spots.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:08 PM

BRF,
We've all had our off days. Never give up. The guide idea is a good one if you don't mind forking over the loot.

Hang in there, man; there's better days ahead.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 06-01-2008, 03:41 PM

Blueraider, just keep your head up. It could have been a number of things that could have gone wrong(could have been behind somebody, ect.). If you think you are having trouble reading a stream, finding fish, or whatever, let me know next time you are in town. I fish the park 3-4 times a week and would be more than glad to help in any way.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:58 PM

Default Just keep trying

Blue Raider
Just keep trying until yesterday the GSMNP was as frustrating to me as you. My best accomplishment in the Mnts prior to yesterday was 1 minnow with red gills and many underwater visit thanks to clumsy feet. I still have the clumsy feet (2 drinches yesterday within 15 minutes).

It took me 3 months of fishing at lest once a week in the Clinch to get to where I knew the feel of a fish, how long I had to set the hook, and develop a half way decent presentation.

I also know that wild ones are a little different and I may go a long time before the next fish comes out of the GSMNP.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:05 PM

Guys thanks for the words on encouragement. I guess I just need to practice. Trout Assassin, I'll do it...God knows I need the guidance.

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 06-01-2008 at 06:26 PM..
Old 06-01-2008, 05:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

Gotta get up high, bro!
Old 06-01-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
Gotta get up high, bro!

Yeah, I guess I'm going to have to cammando and go back country by myself.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:31 PM

Getting a guide or fishing with someone who is familiar with a given body of water is a great way to knock months off of the learning curve. The first time my boy and I fished the Smokies, we hired a guide and I consider it some fo the best money we ever spent. I told him we were less interested in getting "put on a bunch of fish" than we were in learning HOW to fish the mountains. He obliged. We caught fish, but he spent more time teaching us about the water and answering my endless questions than he did pointing us to fish. This is precicely what I asked for. I'm sure any guide would have done the same thing (his tip depends on it ).

The rest of the time, we've fished it alone and have not been skunked yet. We've had a few "one fish" days but just the information of reading the water, was priceless for us.

Fishing with one of the board members who knows the water will accomplish the same thing for a lot less money (I'd gladly offer to pay gas and dinner/beer after fishing. It would be money well spend and, unlike with a guide, you'll make a friend in the process.

Jeff
Old 06-01-2008, 07:11 PM

Jeff,

Good points...I bought abook off of amazon and if that doesn't work, I'll hire a guide. I met a guy on here who knows a few things that has offered as well as one or two other guys that say they'll show me the ropes...Man, this sport ain't easy!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:08 PM

Hang in there. I've been fly fishing for years and usely do well but I still have days that leave me scratching my head and changing flies.