Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-01-2008, 10:45 PM

JW,

I just couldn't belive how easy it is to get hung up on the rocks, let alone the trees. I kept taking the slack out, but the water was so fast that once it got near a rock that it could get hung on, I had to recast the line, so I never got any opportunites to the side or behind me..I guess I was doing it right because when I just let it go, I got hung up. Those are some strong currents up at Treemont. I guss I need to hike in next time as well. The stuff by the road seems fished out.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:08 PM

I live outside of Gatlinburg and the wife and I usually get to the park fairly often. You would be welcome to join us sometime for some fishing.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb541 View Post
I live outside of Gatlinburg and the wife and I usually get to the park fairly often. You would be welcome to join us sometime for some fishing.
Hey, thanks!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
JW,

I just couldn't belive how easy it is to get hung up on the rocks, let alone the trees. I kept taking the slack out, but the water was so fast that once it got near a rock that it could get hung on, I had to recast the line, so I never got any opportunites to the side or behind me..I guess I was doing it right because when I just let it go, I got hung up. Those are some strong currents up at Treemont. I guss I need to hike in next time as well. The stuff by the road seems fished out.
Nymph fishing is very difficult for me as well in the small streams. That is why I only fish dries in them. I used to get skunked every time at Tellico and the first few times I fished in the park. I got some free "lessons" from a friend as well as some great advice here about casting and such, now I catch a few every time out Nothing spectacular yet, but slowly getting better! I still spook alot of fish also, gotta be sneaky, which is hard to do when you are 6' 3" 240 lbs.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:20 PM

These were dries! They were floating o.k., but the current kept pulling them under the rocks! I'm glad I learned how to tie a few flies, because I lost about $20 worth retail! If I tie them, they cost about 50-75 cents. They don't look as pretty, but they work.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Default Don't be discuraged.

Some times it just does not work out. Sounds like you were on the middle prong. It has been getting a lot of action lately and I have found the fish are getting a little shy about hitting flies lately. Try the west prong I did well there this week end and that was with my 7 year old Son with me throwing rocks and splashing around. Elk hair caddis got the best results. I go at least once a week would be happy to meet you there one evening.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:35 PM

Redfish,

Thanks for the invite. I may take you up on it one day. Where you fishing from the road, or did you hike back?
Old 06-02-2008, 03:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Default Hey BlueRader

I fished from the parking lot on the road to cades cove. Some times I hike to camp sight 18. I very seldom see any one else on the stream there were some hikers this weekend but not much. Usauly do well there lots of small bows.Did have a few nice 5 inchers.

I go just about every Wednesday afternoon.

Your welcome
Old 06-02-2008, 03:56 PM

The larger water is just like the small streams...think about where the fish are supposed to be, pick out the best location to fish that area and be sneaky getting into position....sometimes this will mean having to go back down and cross over to the other side....another problem with larger water is spooking fish in the lower end of the pools...when they take off it is usually upstream and this tends to spook those fish as well....and don't just limit yourself to just nymphs when thinking below the surface....try some wet flies or soft hackles....toss them upstream and generally follow the speed and flow of the current with your rod tip....keep an eye on your leader or the end of your flyline....often you will see your line stop, twitch or head upstream...generally an indication of a take....even if you are fishing mainly dries we all have had times when a dry will get sucked under and have a fish hit it.....
Old 06-02-2008, 06:13 PM

Rog,

Thanks for the info. I will try and use your advice on my next trip.