Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-01-2008, 06:29 PM

Default OT: Bluegrass

Guys, I live in Nashville and love bluegrass (although I don't know a lot about the names etc, I still like the music). My friend Ray turned me on to "Cherry Holmes" this weekend and I love it. I reccomend the song "Working Man, Nowhere To Go." Here's a link to their website:

http://cherryholmes.musiccitynetworks.com/index.htm

Check it out.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:38 PM

Fellow bluegrass fan here too. If you like Cherryholmes, you may want to also check out the Infamous Stringdusters. They're another "new age" kind of bluegrass band. Blue Highway is also another pretty hot band right about now.

I'm more of an "old timey" fan myself and really like the traditional mountain music. It's not for everyone but it is my roots music.

I'm a guitar picker and play some of the old fiddle tunes (soilder's joy, arkansas traveler, etc.) on the guitar as well as a number of old Carter Family tunes.

If you think you'd like the old time music, check out this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Old-Ti...2359822&sr=8-1

It's a pretty good introduction to the style without being too "hard core". That one is in my CD player right now.

Fly fishing and Martin Guitars. Two of my most favorite things.

Jeff
Old 06-01-2008, 07:09 PM

Cool! I play guitar too. I have two bluegrass albums: Appalachian Stomp I and II and I love listening to them. I think I'm going to learn a little bluegrass myslef. THanks for the heads up. I'm going to check it out.

BRF
Old 06-01-2008, 08:32 PM

Jeff,

I'm going to bluegrass heaven in a couple of weeks - the Telluride bluegrass festival. I'll be packing my rod just case there's a break but expect to be spending all my time being a Festivarian. We should compare notes next time you and Daniel are in the Smokies.

Tight lines and tight harmonies.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 06-02-2008, 12:07 AM

Charlie,
I hope you have a great time at the festival. Are you a picker?

What fun would it be to spend a day fishing and have a "pick in" on the front porch of LRO! I hear Byron knows his way around a fretboard too.

Leslie, Daniel, and I will be in Townsend for a few days in June 18, 19, and 20. A little family get away and getting in some fishing with Daniel. Then July 6 through 16 Daniel and I are heading to Yellowstone for some fishing. Leslie is not much of a fisherperson so she said she'll sit out the Yellowstone trip and let "the boys do whatever the boys do".

Jeff
Old 06-02-2008, 04:45 AM

Jeff,
The only thing I play is my I-Pod. But I love to listen. I'll be at the festival while you are in Townsend. Yellowstone - wow! Have a great time and treasure this time with Daniel, it goes by way to fast.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 06-02-2008, 06:37 AM

Have you all listened to the Steeldrivers? Lately they have been on heavy rotation at my home.

Jeff - do you have a basecamp for Yellowstone? I'm headed there July 10 - 20 and staying in Emigrant,MT.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:47 AM

Haven't listened to the Steeldrivers, but I'm always willing to try new music.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Have you all listened to the Steeldrivers? Lately they have been on heavy rotation at my home.

Jeff - do you have a basecamp for Yellowstone? I'm headed there July 10 - 20 and staying in Emigrant,MT.
We're basing our assult on the Yellowstone Trout out of West Yellowstone. The first day, we're going with a guide out of Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in West Yellowstone. We've been to the area several times, but this is our first time fishing the rivers out there.

Blueraderfan, Steeldrivers are a good band too. Another classic that every bluegrass collection should have is the album "The Seldom Scene - Live at the Cellar Door". Another interesting "classic" band you should check out is a band from the late 60's early 70's called "Old and in the way". Jerry Garcia (yes, that Jerry Garcia) was the banjo picker. I think he was actually better on the banjo than he was on guitar.

There's so much good music out there it would take a lifetime to listen to it all once.

Jeff
Old 06-02-2008, 11:02 AM

Jeff,

Thanks for the info...Man, I can't believe you are going to Yellowstone! I've been thinking about that for a few months, but the cost might be abit much for me. Maybe in a year or two.