Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-01-2008, 08:45 PM

Default those little fish

Today, I was loading my boat,getting my stuff together,at Helm's Landing on the Cumberland River,getting ready to launch for a bit of fly fishing.A new looking SUV pulls in pulling a drift boat made in Idaho.Three guys get out and begin loading the boat with tackle etc. they seem to be in a hurry.One of them shakes his head and smiles,says they are from Knoxville.I ease over and check out their rig.It is a nice one.I ask them if they ever fish the Smokies.They answer in unison-"NO-OOOOO"--the leader of the three,or maybe the one who talks the most said "Too much walking for little-bitty fish"
I said "there are large fish in the park if you are cantankerous enough to catch them" "Maybe so"says the leader"I am not wasting my time on tourist trout.I seemed to have hit a nerve.The leader did not realize the streams of the Smokies give us one of the last places in the East where we can actually catch wild trout out of clean cold water.One day,sooner before later,the leader will realize this and will end up on Tremont,casting a dry fly on to the waters,and wondering how he could ever have abandoned a place like this--
Old 06-01-2008, 10:03 PM

They can have Idaho and we'll keep heaven. Seems like a good deal for us.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:51 AM

I heard that! (looks so weird when you write it down) I love our itty-bitty fish. If they don't want them, more for us.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 06-02-2008, 09:00 AM

They are little fish. We all get excited when someone catches a 12" trout.

But... it's not all about catching big fish. If I wanted to catch big fish all day long, I'd drive 20 minutes to the Ohio River, tie on a couple chicken livers and catch 40lb catfish all night long, or pop on a dough ball and haul in 30lb carp anytime I wanted.

There's something about standing next to or in a mountain stream, listening to the water rushing over the rocks and the wind in the trees and the smell of moist earth and pine that is the experience. Oh by the way, we may catch a little fish or two along the way.

To me, it's not even the fact they're wild. Wild fish just add to the pleasure but it's about the full experience.

Don't get me wrong, I like to haul in a 40lb catfish now and then. 90% of my fishing is for bass and bluegill. Nothing wrong with a 5lb bass on a flyrod either.

I catch bluegill at least 3X per week bigger and harder fighting than any trout I've ever seen in the Smokeys.

It's the full experience of fishing in one of the most beautiful places God has created that causes me to drive from Cincinnati (actually Northern Kentucky) to Townsend several times a year.

It's not the fish, it's the fishing.

I know a lot of guys like the ones described who only care about how many and how big. I really do feel sorry for them.

Jeff
Old 06-02-2008, 10:21 AM

Just three less people to see in the park in my book.

I think there is a progression of how people go through the fishing life cycle. Now that I typed that, I realize it is only because I just finished reading the new Geirach book. At first you go after any fish that will bite. Then you change to as many fish as you can. Then to the biggest. Then you go for the experience. Then back to any fish that will bite.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Default Who needs them?

If they can not appreciate the beauty and the opportunity of the park thatís there loss, once a week I get off work in Knoxville and head to the park for some fishing.
Itís great, nice quite catch lots of fish, may be small but every thing I need fits nicely in behind the seat of my truck. And there are some nice fish there just takes a little more effort but worth it.

Bears, hogs, otters, browns, bows, brooks and so much more it is not just the fish.

I never tire of it.

They do not take the time to appreciate what they are missing.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:32 PM

People like that just don't understand, like others have said, that it's not all about catching a large fish. The serenity that comes with standing in a stream in the smokies is something that can't be described. Actually managing to fool a wily trout is just a bonus to cap it all off. Like gmreeves said, three less people in the park to worry about!!

Craig
Old 06-02-2008, 03:46 PM

It is almost a religious experience...a feeding of the soul that replenishes what everyday life robs from us...fishing in the park embraces so much more than the actual act of catching fish....I sure those "fishermen" are of the ilk that still measure the success of a trip by the size and number of fish they catch...feel sorry for them.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:20 PM

whatever floats your boat
Old 06-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5
Default VERY true

As you can tell by my screen name I have chased the little fish since I was a kid here in Waynesville. You have to love what you are doing.