Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-03-2008, 12:03 PM

Default Lynn Camp Fish Out

Any news on how the first day went for the Lynn Camp Prong fish out? Fisherman traffic, numbers caught and on what? I am planning on a day or two over the next week and am just being curious.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:25 PM

My girls and I fished it yesterday...I'll post a full report later tonight, but here's a brief thumbnail sketch; when we got there about 0930, the check-in station told us only 6 people were ahead of us. I ended up with 10, all between 4 and 7 inches - we probably should have gone higher. When we checked-in at the end of our day, they told us that some got skunked, while one fellow took 58. I did see a lot of people heading up the trail with gear that wasn't appropriate for the conditions...I'll bet a lot of powerbait was confiscated.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:40 PM

Thanks ijsouth! I have always found it amazing the worm and corn containers that I sometimes find lying about the park: same category as power bait. I look forward to your reply. By-the-way, since I don't usually keep the trout that I catch the question begs do you use an Artic Creel or similar container when fishing all day to keep the fish fresh.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:45 PM

Well, to be honest, I normally don't keep many fish...in fact, this was only the second time I've kept any trout (and both times at Lynn Camp). I improvised a stringer from a cord to a whistle and just ran it through the gills and mouth, and made sure to put them in a quiet backwater while I was fishing, to keep them fresh. Afterwards, I put them, stringer and all, into a gallon ziplock bag and filled it with water/ice from a cooler, and when I got home stuck the whole thing in the freezer. I'll thaw them out and clean them this weekend. The smaller ones will be like eating sardines from a tin.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Default Thanks ijsouth

Thanks I was hopping to hear a report from some one who had been.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:54 PM

Got there today around 1:00. I was number 6 to check in for the day. I ended up with 6 rainbows. All of them were pretty decent size too. I was fishing behind several people. Most people there had a spinning outfit, prolly powerbaiting them like you guys said . All in all, it was a good day to be on the stream. And i will have to say, those fish tasted mighty nice for dinner tonight
Old 06-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Any news on how the first day went for the Lynn Camp Prong fish out? Fisherman traffic, numbers caught and on what? I am planning on a day or two over the next week and am just being curious.
Who was this through?
Old 06-03-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Who was this through?

http://yoursmokies.blogspot.com/

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 06-04-2008, 07:58 AM

Lots of action even after our news report.

Plenty of bites and I would suggest going higher up the trail as they seemed to get bigger.

I would hope if the park service doesn't get enough Rainbow harvested they could extend the no limit rather than just kill everything in September.

Be warned I got 2 ticks and 2 off duty fireman fishing low down the trail near the cascades said they got 4. I did very little bushwhacking so the ticks are thick.

The water was cool but if you are going to fish all day you better bring ice as it has really warmed up in the past 2 weeks.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:51 AM

Default Plenty of Fish

Fished Lynn Camp yesterday. There are plenty of fish. Got stung right off the bat and found a rather large copperhead sunning in some decaying leaves. Most of what I caught were small; broke off a decent rainbow early in the day... should have retied earlier. I caught most of mine on a #12 golden stone. There were about 10 fishermen all day. A couple of fella came out with 35 between them mostly in the 4"-6" range. I asked the men wortking the checkout if they thought that the fishout would be extended and they said not likely due to the low turnout of isherman. I beleive that they said there was somewhere in the neighborhood of 130 fish recorded as Wednesday night.