Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-03-2008, 04:23 PM

Default Clinch 6-3-08

I took a few hours out of work today to fish the Clinch since I was already working in Clinton. Met a nice man named Bob today and talked about a few flies that have been working and maybe he will check out the forum when he gets home.
From 11 am until 1:45 I landed 4 fish and had on 5 others that pulled off due to a poor hook set by me. All of the fish landed were on a olive parachute fly that I tied. No fish hit the nymph. 3 fish attempted the orange stimulator and finally after switching to the olive dry fly I had all 4 fish landed in about 30 min. 1 nice rainbow and 3 beautiful browns. Sorry I didn't get any pictures, I didn't want any proof that I skipped out on work... Maybe I shouldn't be writing this. Hmm.. Oh well.

It was a beautiful morning on the water. There was a fog that came rolling (literally) down the river that made me stop just to watch. I have never seen anything like that before. Just after the fog rolled through is when the fishing heated up. I wonder if the barometeric pressure changed and caused the fish to get hungry?

Can't wait to get back on the water the next time.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:25 PM

Flyfishjeep,

I with you...the fog was awesome!! Started fishing at the jail about 8:00 am and could barely see my strike indicator 20' upstream. Started with BHPT with no luck, switched to to a midge, same luck.

Moved above the Weir after aboout an hour and the fog was getting worse. Had to wade out from the boat launch between about 6 bait fishermen tightlining from the bank, the water was still a little high so I tied on a tandem rig of a midge and sulphur emerger of some sort. The emerger on the bottom of the rig was the trick as within the next hour I had 2 fat browns and 3 nice bows.

Very beautiful morning to fish but I had to get to work just before the fog lifted good so I am sure that I missed the best part of the morning. Once again I had a blast on the Clinch and the beauty of East TN again was very impressive...I love this place!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:19 PM

The fog rolling down the river is sometimes the result of a new slug of water from the dam. It's colder and that creates a wave of fog/condensation that moves with the cold water, especially on a hot muggy day. Very cool, literally and figuratively.

If it is the same "Bob," (it sounds like him) I've talked with him several times. Knows his stuff, and is very willing to share with guys like me who are still struggling to figure it out. I've learned a lot from him. I told him once he gets half credit for all the fish I catch at the jail. I've always appreciated his willingness to share info on what is working for him and how he is fishing. Good guy.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 PM

Kingstonian,

You are correct also. The water was very cold! I usually wear blue jeans and hiking socks this time of year and my legs and feet were both feeling the chill this morning.

My favorite time of year to fish the Clinch is when it's cold and miserable but my legs have never gotten as cold as they were today...my feet have but not my legs. There was also quite a few cold spots above the water and even around 11:00 I was shivering with short sleeves on. I thought it was just the fact that I am from Mississippi and have already experienced many 90 degree days this year.

I'll be back Thursday for more!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:24 AM

Default Clinch

Hoping to fish the Clinch Monday. Any sulfur activity left around HY 61? Any reports on fishing near the dam or Millers Island? Trying to help a couple of learning fly fishers. I guess we are all learning the way of the trout. Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:29 PM

Default Some Sulphurs

Hey Monk,
I was there on Friday, and there was still some sulphur activity down around 61. Most of my action came on BHPT, split case, and sulphur emergers. Good luck to you.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-04-2008, 05:07 PM

Thanks ChemE. Monk
Old 06-04-2008, 06:28 PM

Thumbs up

Fished about 3 mi above 61 bridge this afternoon. Wind about 14-15 mph, but nevertheless I was throwing streamers and did well with about a dozen brought to hand -- 1 bow around 17-18". Saw a few sulphur duns but there was essentially no surface activity.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:50 PM

Default Clinch this Friday

Will be in Oak Ridge on Friday. How is the HY 61 section fishing right now. With the sulfurs practically gone are any fish being caught?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:19 PM

Monk I fished above Highway 61 the other day and below the weir and caught all my fish on a zebra midge dropped off a stimulater. Do not know if that means its back to midge fishing but if no Sulpher activity you can always go back to ol faithful.