Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-03-2008, 10:41 PM

Default First time fly fishing in Smoky Mountains

I will be vacationing in the Smoky Mountains from 6/6-6/13 with my wifes family. I can't afford to hire a guide and I was wondering what my chances are of catching some fish? Also wanted to know if you would share a few places that I might fish that would increase my chances of catching some and what flies/sizes to bring? I had lunch with a friend of mine who also lives in STL and he told me that I should expect to be shut out.....that it is really difficult fishing. He has visited the are several times and gets shut out quite often. I'm hoping he is going to the wrong places and using the wrong flies?? Any help would be greatly appreciated......I really want to catch some fish!! I practice C&R and am addicted to the sport. I don't how big or small they are, I just want to catch a few!

Thanks
Mike
Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 PM

Start off with anything yellow, as far as flies are concerned. As far as locatioins, in general terms I would tend towards the upper ends of the streams. The two most important things are: 1. Get a good, drag-free drift and 2. Set the hook as quickly as possible. In order to accomplish #1, keep your casts as short as possible - on small streams, that often means you're basically just casting the leader, or at most a minimum amount of line. In order to be able to pull off the short casts, keep a low profile, avoid casting your shadow over the water, and use cover (boulders, etc) as much as possible. It is far more important to get a good presentation and avoid spooking the fish than picking out a particular pattern.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 AM

Stop by the Little River Outfitter (the sponsors of this board). It is on the main drag, across the street from the IGA supermarket. Get a $10 high grade map and have them show you where to go and and mark the spots on the map (based on how much hiking you would like to do). Also, buy some of the flies that they reccomend. BE PREPARED TO HIKE A COUPLE OF MILES! Bring a snack and water, a poncho/rain gear (just in case) and a flash light (just in case). If you ever go before the first week of May, or after October, you should bring an emergency blanket for each person as well. Having said that, you will probably only ever need the snack and the water Oh, and look up how you should respond to a black bear. I doubt that you see one, but you never know. I recommend going above Treemont. It's about a 2 mile, mild to moderate hike and there are quite a few fish up there from what I understand. Even if you don't catch anything, you are going to love the scenery. Sometimes I think I've stepped into a Tolkien novel and I may looked around and find Bilbo walking behind me lol. Also, take a camera! You are going to want to get plenty of pictures!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 AM

Thanks guys.....LRO is going to be my first stop! I have a flashlight and digital camera in my pack and as suggested, I will be a picture taking fool. The Olympus I have is an underwater camera that I just got, so I can't wait to try it out. Appreciate the feedback! Have been there before, but that was prior to my fly fishing days!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijsouth View Post
.The two most important things are: 1. Get a good, drag-free drift and 2. Set the hook as quickly as possible. In order to accomplish #1, keep your casts as short as possible - on small streams, that often means you're basically just casting the leader, or at most a minimum amount of line..
If I could add a couple details...

*practice casting across your left shoulder, (if you're a right-hander) and vice versa, because you'll always be on the wrong side of the stream.

*Avoid wading when possible, then when (if) you do, go slow

*keep moving up stream...if you've made 3-4 good presentations to a pool or riffle with no response, then quietly go on to the next.

*<This was already mentioned but worth repeating> find a trail.... avoid sections with plenty of road access.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:44 AM

BlueRaiderFan....Funny you should mention Bilbo Baggins....first time I ever packed into a backcountry site I brought along the Hobbit to read....I was camped up on #23 on Fish Camp Prong....first night it was storming with lightning and thunder that shook the ground....as I was reading the Hobbit I just knew that Bilbo and crew were going to be knocking at my door any minute....it truly is a magical place back there.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Mike,

I second a lot of the opinions about hiking a little ways away from roads. Your chances of catching fish will go up the more effort you put into getting away from the crowds There will be lots of different flies you could use and be successful, but if I could only use one in the summer it would be the Green Weenie. I would definitely get some of those at LRO. I personally like the East prong of the Little River, but it can be a little more challenging. I usually don't get shutout on it, but I never have big numbers days either. The fish there are very rewarding for me to catch so I don't care that I'm not good enough to catch a lot of them. If I were going to be there when you are, I'd tie on a #12/14 yellow stimulator and use a green weenie as a dropper, or I would just fish the green weenie exclusively. Best of luck, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and I look forward to seeing some pictures from your trip.

Matt
Old 06-04-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
BlueRaiderFan....Funny you should mention Bilbo Baggins....first time I ever packed into a backcountry site I brought along the Hobbit to read....I was camped up on #23 on Fish Camp Prong....first night it was storming with lightning and thunder that shook the ground....as I was reading the Hobbit I just knew that Bilbo and crew were going to be knocking at my door any minute....it truly is a magical place back there.

I love the Hobbit. I read it when I was a kid and I have all of the special edition copies. Did you go back country by yourself on that trip? I've been thinking about doing that, but I'm not certain if I should.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:45 PM

Blue Raider Fan....In my younger days I went through a five year period when I would spend several trips a year in the backcountry by myself....I primarily camped out at #23 and #24....the later being my favorite....I would set up camp for 3-4 days and fish the locales in the general area so that I would not have to hike in several times a week....this is a very relaxing, unrushed way to fish....someone always knew my entry and exit dates, which campsite I would be at and I would always try to fish where there was easy access to the trail.....never had a problem but would always be a little more careful than when I had a buddy with me....
Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 PM

Wow, that's hardcore.