Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 AM

Default Pleasant suprise

I try to get in a few hours every week on the water either by myself or with a buddy. Last week I shared the stream with Bran while he was in town for a few days. We caught several fish and I was glad to have the company. Every time I looked up he had a fish on. I think I only caught a couple myself.

I have been tying up some different patterns lately and decided to try them out last evening. I parked , rigged up and walked upriver about a half mile to an area I have been wanting to fish for awhile. Upon arrival there was 3 teenagers wading down the stream with spin rods. I turned around and walked downstream probably 300yds or so and got back in the river.

Within 5 min. they had caught up with me complaining that they had only caught 1 little bluegill. They walked behind me and proceeded to start casting again as they quickly slogged through the river bed scaring all the potential fish.
I just shrugged and waded out to the bank and walked back upstream to my original destination.

This time I tried out this new topwater fly called a stealth bomber. I tied this one in green.

It has great action but the river was shallow and it really needs deeper water to be more effective. i caught a little bream and 1 little smallie on it.

I decided to change flies back to one of my foam poppers and look for some deeper water. I came upon a pool that I have looked at several times but had not fished it before.
Second cast to the bubble line and hooked up with a decent fish! After several nice jumps and rod bending runs, I was able to net this nice 19" post spawn Smallie. A couple of quick picts and released her back to the pool.

The evening started off rough with the boys wading down the stream and only marginal success with the new fly, but it turned into a pleasant surprise after all.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:34 PM

It's almost like you know what your doing!!

Great fish and nice pics. I am getting ready to finally put my new bass flies to the test.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:20 PM

Nice Fish!!!

I have to admit that I fished early Monday morning and had the river all to myself. I quickly hooked a couple of less than average smallies, and then walked up on a few extremely large carp. I quickly switched tactics and had a fish on in just a few short minutes. This fish was so large that it broke off the entire leader at the loop where the fly line ends quickly putting an end to my day. I've got a few pictures of the smaller fish that I landed.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:40 PM

Default Gary

Man, you tie some nice junk flies! I'd like to spend a day watching you tie some of those wild poppers...Glad to see you had a good day on the water...Even better to see get a nice surprise on the other end of the line! Adding a few more of those little fish to the picture!

~Brett
Old 06-05-2008, 05:07 PM

For a "TroutMan", you sure do like to wear out the smallies
Old 06-05-2008, 07:05 PM

Default Trout "MAN"

You know I've been thinking about that comment for quite some time! I too wonder you're family's origin and how your decendants came upon the name!? I would think that the fishing lineage is in the family gene pool! I'd love to hear the family history sometime.

~Brett