Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-05-2008, 02:35 PM

Default Holston River at Nances Ferry

I suppose I could have named this thread "Pleasant Surprise" of "Day of Firsts" but those names were already taken.

Fished the Holston River at Nances Ferry today after work. The trout appeared to have a case of lock-jaw, but I was determined not to go home with a skunkin'.

On my walk back downriver, as I got closer to the landing, I began to see what looked like bass feeding in the shade of some trees. I flipped a fly over to them and, sure enough, I was rewarded with my first smallie!

Now, granted, it was a small smallie, but it was a first for me.

After a few minutes I saw some carp all huddled together in another shady spot. Now, I've casted to carp before and they seem just about as enthusiastic about eating my fly as I am about eating them. But this time, they actually went for it! I broke off two on the hookset before I finally managed a solid hook-up. He lolly-gagged around and I thought, "Hmm, you would think a fish of that size would have a little more fight in him." It was as if he read my mind. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! All the way down to the backing and then some. Holy cow! What had I gotten myself into? He took me down into my backing twice more during our epic 30 minute battle. Yes, I said 30 minutes. When I finally got him to the net he was too big to go in it!

Not bad on a 3wt w/ 7x tippet, if I do say so myself. Although I don't think I'd want that kind of a battle every day. My arm is killing me today. But it is a satisfying pain...
Old 06-05-2008, 03:14 PM

GW, Welcome to the warm side! Thats a big buffalo on a 3wt. and unbelievable on 7X. Good job!

BTW, they will eat green weenies.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:41 PM

hey man carp and buffalo are great on a long rod. Ive never fished @ NANCES FERRY could use some dirctions from Maryville please, and asTroutman said welcome to the warm side. resistance is futile.
have a great day, NO HACKLE