Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-09-2008, 12:34 PM

Default Clinch Slot Regulation Enforcement

I received a reply in regard to the email I had sent on 5/27 to TWRA officials about slot limit enforcement on the Clinch. My email was forwarded to the TWRA supervisor of the Anderson County area.

He advised that currently they are still warning people of the regulation. He will however, keep me posted about when ticket writing will commence and of course I will forward that info along to you.

So for now, I guess all we can do is try to set a good example for others and hope they might follow.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 06-09-2008, 04:11 PM

Thumbs down

Thanks for the update Biggame, but I guess I just don't understand giving people over 3 months grace on the regulations to start enforing them. I guess the fact that the majority of the money spent on trout stamps is by non flyfisherman, TWRA is cautious not to shoot themselves in the foot. You get a couple angry bait fisherman on your case and next thing you know it is the whole trophy section debacle all over again.

Looking forward to another update......

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-09-2008, 06:17 PM

ChemEAngler,

I think you may be right, about TWRA not wanting to anger one group of fishermen that probably is the majority/Bait fishermen, while pleasing another us/Fly fishermen. I grew up in Norris and I lived there until the age 16, when we moved to Northern Kentucky, (Cincinnati area) this was around the time when Jake and C.H. screwed everybody in East TN. I have fished the Clinch and N. Lake ever since I could walk and still have a lot of family there and plan on someday returning to the place I call home. But for now I must purchase an $81.00 annual out of state fishing license, "a lot higher than most other states". I can't remember exactly when the price went to 81 bucks, but I have bought an out of state licenses every year since we moved some 21 years ago. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, I think what I'm trying to say is I have invested a lot of money in TWRA over the years and I would like to think these funds are being used to enforce the rules and regulations. Bait fishermen or Fly fishermen everybody should play by the same rules.

ChemEAngler, sorry for all the venting, but I do feel much better now...
Thanks,
Rob
Old 06-09-2008, 06:32 PM

Default prices

For regulation and enforcement on the Clinch, I would pay $100 for an in state fishing license, on top of a special permit to fish the Clinch to hire more wardens, as much as I get to go, and for quality fishing.

I do agree that $80 for out of state is unreasonable.

I don't golf...what's that for 4 hours of entertainment 50-60 bucks? A movie with the family is $40 or more if you buy the $10 popcorn.

The regs are for everyone. Either improve the river or let it die a slow death. The bait/Rap guys love the Caney/S. Holston just as much as the flyfishers, and it wasn't that many years ago that no one talked up the Caney or S. Holston like they do now...

So if the bait guys can still keep fish because this might make thme angry, do I still have to pay taxes next April?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
So if the bait guys can still keep fish because this might make thme angry, do I still have to pay taxes next April?
TWRA is not funded by taxes. They are funded by license sales.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:54 AM

I mainly use rapalas on the clinch, and I release just about every fish I catch. There are alot of guys on here that think since your a fly guy you are the only ones trying to help the fishing on the clinch. Guess what. YOUR WRONG!! It will take a while for the fishing to improve, but when it does improve the clinch will be one crowded river, with everyone trying to catch a trophy trout. I just tired of seeing on here that its the bait/rapala fisherman ruining the fishing and keeping fish in the slot limit.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 PM

I would like to make one thing clear, when I contacted TWRA, to find out about the regulation enforcement, I did so for the benefit of everyone. I don't care what you chose to fish with, and I never said one way or the other what the fisher people were using for tackle when I saw them with what I believed to be an illegal catch, nor did I care. They were simply people, who were either not aware of the slot limit, or did know and decided not to abide. I Fly fish because I chose to, and any Fly fishermen who thinks they're better than someone else because they Fly fish, isn't someone you'll find me associating with. I'm relatively new at Fly fishing and the only reason I joined this forum was that, I thought it would be a good source to learn and get info on what the fish might be eating, not to still up a bunch of ****. When I was a kid in elementary school we would argue about which was the best Ford or Chevy. All that's pretty silly ain't it? Let's try to act like adults and stop assuming things that aren't really there. I'm speaking to everyone no matter if you Fly fish, Bait fish, Bow fish, or shoot them with a harpoon. Don't matter to me one way or the other.

Last edited by Biggame1; 06-10-2008 at 05:17 PM..
Old 06-10-2008, 01:17 PM

Biggame1 I understand that you are just making people aware of the new rules of the clinch. I fish the clinch every weekend, and I always talk to people, and always bring up the slot limit. I was talking to a guy near the weir last weekend and he reported to TWRA that there was 4 Asian guys catching LOTS of trout and taking them home, we are talking 100+ fish. Its stuff like this that should make people be more active in calling and reporting stuff.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:33 PM

Biggame, I've read your posts, and don't think you're descriminating against anyone, no matter what way they decide to fish, so either Earlybird mis-interpreted something you posted or his post isn't directed at you (may be directed at me for all I know).

I participate in another forum where TWRA has their own header where you can post questions directly to them, and they will answer them to the best of their ability. From what I gather, TWRA is hurting for funds. Finding the money to hire Game Wardens to enforce the rules is a big issue. Due to the rise in gas prices, they may even have to start cutting programs this year. Since TWRA doesn't get their money from the state, the only way to increase funds is to increase license fees. IMO, It won't be long before TWRA starts recieving state moneys. Then, the politicians wil be helping us set slot limits, seasons, and so forth. Won't that be great!!!(sarcasm)

As for the 3 month grace period, I think people should be able to read the regulations, and follow them immediately, but that's just me.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:41 PM

Default Oops

Earlybird posted while I was typing.

"This forum requires that you wait 180 seconds between posts. Please try again in 130 seconds." My second bad on this thread. Maybe I ought to just find another thread to post on.