Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-09-2008, 09:03 PM

Default Caney Fork

Are there spots to wade the Caney when they are generating? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Are they generating so much to lower the Lake level or to keep the River temperature cool? Sorry for all the questions, I just wanted to try to maximize fishing time while I am in the area.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:04 AM

Wading under generation is very difficult, there is typically no backcast room where you can & the fish don't hangout where it's possible, great for casting practice though.
They are drawing the lake down to repair leaks around the dam, a 7 year project that just got underway this year, it's becoming a boat river with some very uneducated boaters on it
I talked to a guy yesterday that was swamped as they tried to wade in on falling water, boat idiot running wide open with no consideration for anyone else
With the limited no generation, better bring your own rock, the few accessible areas will show more ignorance by wade fisherman & it just isn't the bank monkeys, it's FFr's to
It's hot, gas is to high to drive very far, it's going to be crazy on the river til this 7 year project is completed
On the positive side, the fish are cooperating on the low water

Grumpy
Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 AM

Default Thanks

Grumpy, I appreciate all the information. I have been to the Caney a couple of times, and both were great overall experiences. Good fishing, scenery, and good generation schedule. I wish I would have known about the dam project before I scheduled my trip. Could have gone to another river. I understand the generating and lowering of the river during the week, but you would think they would back off on weekends for the fisherman and recreation floaters and boaters. This is a great tourist attraction for fishing and getting away. This might turn others off, like myself, from going back to this location because of lack of fishing opportunities. Next time maybe I'll take my vacation and money to East TN where there are more options.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:53 PM

I hear ya, i've actually gotten quite a bit done on the farm this spring cause i'm tired of throwing streamers, why just the other day, the wifes wiring on her tractor went up in smoke on me

Grumpy